Sunday, November 30, 2014

Public Service Announcement #1



My Public Service Announcement (PSA) for the month (hell might be my 1st ever): 

About 6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with skin cancer for the 2nd time in four years. This time my cancer is a basal cell carcinoma versus the squamous cell cancer I had in my lip 4 years ago. To remove my cancer 4 years ago, I had over half my bottom lip removed (MOHS surgery) and reconstructed. Now here I am facing the same type of MOHS surgery but this time in my neck and minus the reconstruction (thankfully).  For those that don't know, MOHS surgery involves removing layers of skin & observing them under a microscope. The removal of layers continues until the margins of skin appear cancer free under the microscope. The cure rate for MOHS surgery is 98% for basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas & the damage to skin is minimal compared to other treatments. If lucky it will be one and done but I can say from experience it is not always that way. They had to go in twice to remove all the cancer from my lip.

I bring all this depressing information to you so you don't make the same dumb mistakes I did the past 4 years. Despite having the first diagnosis & surgery, I was still an idiot & did not use sun block as much as I should. Knowing that this diagnosis is going to deter me from competing in triathlons, I realize I can no longer be that same idiot that I have been the past few years. I also know I can use my experience as a chance to educate others especially multi-sport athletes like myself, who spend hours in the sun training!This is just the first step in that direction.......
 
On a lighter note, here is a bit of news on my progress in my MAF experiment:

Four Weeks Of Base Training @ MAF:
Bike - 16 rides/ 525 miles/ 24.49 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 12 runs/ 90.5 miles/ 12.40 hours/ 8:13 per mile
Swim - 8 swims/ 7 miles/ 3.25 hours
Total - 36 workouts/ 622.5 miles/ 40.14 hours
(4 Suspension Training sessions)
Per Week - 9 workouts/ 155.6 miles/ 10.03 hours

This week will mark a return to my normal training schedule. Other than to my team's indoor track & field meet, I have no traveling on the calendar for this week! In this two week cycle, my long bike rides jump to 2 hour & 15 minutes and my long run increases to 1 hour 20 minutes. As it will for the next 9 weeks, all training still remains at MAF (130-140 bpm). This cycle's volume goal is 10.5-10.75 hours (Bike - 6:00-15; Run - 3:15-20; Swim - 1:20-30). And for the first time in two weeks, I will get back into the weight room for my suspension training! Seeing my improved strength in the pool and dropping times, this is becoming on of the most important parts of my training!

And even more cool news, Power Bar used one my photos I tweeted after a workout! 


Stoked that Power Bar used my picture in one of their Twitter/Facebook post!


No comments:

Post a Comment