Sunday, December 7, 2014

Dose Of Reality (It Can Happen To You)





"No need to run and hide
 It's a wonderful, wonderful life
 No need to laugh and cry
 It's a wonderful, wonderful life"
Wonderful Life - Smith & Burrows 

Mohs Surgery

Tomorrow morning at 8:00AM, I am scheduled for my 2nd Mohs surgery in 4 years to remove a bit of basal cell carcinoma in my neck. The procedure, itself, has potential to take just over an hour depending on the first round of cutting. If unsure of what Mohs surgery entails, the above link will take you to a page to describe the procedure in more details. Basically, the procedure involves removing layers of skin cells until the margins of the skin cells appear cancer free under a microscope. For basal cell carcinomas, the cure rate of Mohs surgery is 97-98%, so that is a number to feel really good about going into this. While on paper the procedure looks very effective & less invasive, I do hope some people, who may actually read this blog, learn from my ignorance & laziness and use sunscreen.

It felt good to have a normal week of training after two crazy weeks (NCAA's & Thanksgiving). I accomplished all my volume goals in the three disciplines but was only able to get one session of suspension training. My goal is to consistently get two suspension training session each week but I guess one is better than none. The biggest impact of suspension training has been in my swim. I have basically doing endurance swims of 1500-1800 yards over the past 4-5 weeks & I have been able to maintain 91-92 seconds per 100 where I would have been closer to 93-94 seconds per 100 yards prior to suspension training.

Five Weeks Of Base Training @ MAF:
Bike - 20 rides/ 657 miles/ 30.71 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 15 runs/ 114.5 miles/ 15.69 hours/ 8:13 per mile
Swim - 11 swims/ 9.75 miles/ 4.48 hours
Total - 46 workouts/ 781.25 miles/ 50.88 hours
(4 Suspension Training sessions)
Per Week - 9.2 workouts/ 156.3 miles/ 10.18 hours 
 
This week is scheduled to be a duplicate of this past week. My swim workouts this week will ultimately depend on the Mohs surgery & the stitches afterwards. At most, I am hoping that it will only cost me one swimming day this week. I will be able to get back to completing two suspension training sessions this week. My overall time volume goal for swimming, biking and running is 10.5-10.75 hours this week. If I am able to hit every trainingn session, the week will look like 6-6.25 hours of biking, 3.15-3.3 hours of running & 1.25-1.33 hours of swimming. I have started to notice improvements in my paces at MAF & will perform a MAF Fitness Test over the winter break. 
 
 

Heading Out On The Run

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment