Sunday, December 14, 2014

Done For Now!!! (I Hope)


"And I still believe in the need
 For guitars and drums and desperate poetry
 I still believe that everyone
 Can find a song for every time they've lost
 And every time they've won
 So just remember, folks
 We're not just saving lives
 We're saving souls
 And we're having fun"
Frank Tuner - I Still Believe

Surgery was a success!

For now, my last post regarding my Mohs surgery. Like I expected, the surgery went well & it took two diggings around my neck to get all of cancer. The digging part of the procedure took about 2 hours, including the time to observe the samples under the microscope to make sure all the cancer was removed. The last part of the procedure involved the doctor stitching closed the hole in my neck. This part of the procedure took about 30 minutes also as I was pretty sure, the doctor was attempting to stitch a sweater on my neck. When I finally removed the bandage to look at the stitches/scar, I could not believe how big it was. The line of stitches was over 2 inches long & the spot itself was barely the size of a dime. 

My New Scar
Hopefully this will be my last post about a surgery but it won't be my last post on skin cancer & protecting oneself. Yeah, 2 Mohs surgeries in 4 years might be enough to scare anyone enough to use sunscreen but seeing how many others were going through the same procedure that day adds a little more pertinence to my change of heart! I have to admit, it was very depressing to see all the people in the waiting room with bandages waiting to find out if they had to go back into the room to have more cancer scraped out of them. 

Wear SUNSCREEN! 
 
Six Weeks Of Base Training @ MAF:
Bike - 24 rides/ 697 miles/ 37.24 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 19 runs/ 140 miles/ 19.15 hours/ 8:12 per mile
Swim - 11 swims/ 9.75 miles/ 4.48 hours
Total - 54 workouts/ 946.75 miles/ 60.87 hours
(6 Suspension Training sessions)
Per Week - 9.0 workouts/ 157.8 miles/ 10.15 hours

This week starts a new two week cycle in my base training. First, I am hoping to be able to get back in the pool this week but that may have to wait till mid-week depending on my stitches & mobility in my neck. My long run extends to 90 minutes (11.25-11.5 miles) & my long ride extends to 2 hours & 30 minutes. My total volume (if swimming happens) will range from 11.0-11.25 hours: 6.25-6.50 hours biking; 3.4-3.5 hours running & 1.25-1.50 hours swimming. And like the previous 6 weeks, all training will continue to be completed at MAF. My paces at MAF have improved the past few weeks & the body continues to feel fresh especially with the increases in volume. 

Seven more weeks of base!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment