Sunday, December 29, 2013

Time To Start Thinking About 2014 Goals (Maybe!)




" With the sun on my shoulder
  And the wind in my back
  I will never grow older
  At least not in my mind"

My Morning Jacket - Wonderful (The Way I feel)

A day late but not a dollar short! (At least I hope not!)

After a week of holiday travel that included 10+ hours and 600+ miles of driving. it is nice to be finally home sitting on the couch, drinking a coffee (beers later for sure) and typing away this latest post for my loyal readers (if you are out there)! Our travels included the usual two family travels between North and South Jersey. Of course, we had to travel with our bullies (pictured below), the two best bullies in the world. They are the best road trip buddies we could ask for! That picture of Lucy and Snowy was taking on our trip during Thanksgiving and was not posed as it happened 10 miles into our drive. Of course after all the travels and family fun, they are sleeping away and probably won't recover for 2-3 days!

Between the time in the car and hanging with the families, the holidays also lend to some training in some new scenery. Trust me when I say, that the roads of Central PA can get old and boring real quick! My three runs were on a nice trail system through some woods in Morristown, NJ. The trails have some nice rollers and many options so you could avoid just out and back running. If you don't have a Garmin, the trails are also marked with every tenth of a mile.  Now thankfully, it was not an extremely cold week so I was able to get three rides outside during the week. The indoor trainer was not going to fit in the car for this week but at the same time it was nice to be outdoors all week. As I mentioned last week, there was no swimming this week as no pools were available on our travels but the school pool opens back up on Thursday. 

Sometimes hard to believe that there are just two more days on the 2013 calendar. Like most triathletes, the past month I have been working on building my base in preparation for the 2014 race season. Unlike most triathletes though, I am very slow to set a race schedule. I have to be honest and admit that I only have one definite race on my calendar - Ironman 70.3 Eagleman. I have other races in my mind but my race schedule will depend on what happens at Eagleman. What some may view as cockiness, I am going into the race with idea of qualifying for Kona, pretty much throwing all my eggs in one basket! Yes, I know if things don't happen exactly as planned it may screw me out of other races as so many are already sold-out but I only know one way to go about things. I guess I have two days to think about a potential schedule and be ready to blog next week. What is the date of the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii?

Aside from racing, a very big goal is to put a concerted effort into to building my personal coaching business. With  a week till my track & field teams return, I have some time to focus on that goal and get things rolling. Runners, cyclist and triathletes, if you are reading this and in need of a coach, feel free to message me!(Shameless plus, but it is my blog!!!)

No new rules this week as all the travels have left my brain blank and I am still feeling some of the holiday spirit  and feeling inclined to be nice! I am sure this will pass pretty quickly...Ha ha ha!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 138 miles/ 6.92 hours/ 20.0 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 25.75 miles/ 3.27 hours/ 7:37 per mile
Swim - 0 swims/ 0 miles/ 0 hours
Total - 7 workouts/ 163.75 miles/ 10.19 hours

2013
Bike - 253 rides/ 8252 miles/ 384.66 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 177 runs/ 1171.25 miles/ 144.29 hours/ 7:23 per mile
Swim - 147 swims/ 138 miles/ 67.79 hours
Total - 577 workouts/ 9561.25 miles/ 596.74 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 145-60 miles
Run - 3 runs/ 25-27 miles
Swim - 2 swims/ 2 miles
Total 11-12 hours

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 
Kona 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment