Saturday, December 21, 2013

My Gift To Triathletes This Holiday

 



Christmas came early today!!!!

Last weekend, I was sitting on the couch watching 6 inches of snow fall in Central PA. And just a week later, I was able to get outside and ride the bike today. Now, I know these days to get outside, by my standards, are far and few between, so I had to take advantage. Now tomorrow is supposed to be warmer but it is also supposed to rain.....so getting outside tomorrow is about 50/50 right now.

Yesterday, I also completed my final session in the pool (unless a pool is open on our travels this week for the holidays) for 2013. The pool at school is officially closed and does not reopen until January 2nd. As much as it is my least favorite of the three disciplines, I hate the idea of not being in a pool for close to 2 weeks. I hope I don't forget how to swim during this time.

In the holiday spirit, here is my latest rule......

Rule #??? - Uphill Means Sit-Up 
This rule is a collaboration with a fellow triathlete (Chris Bailey) I train with as this boggles our minds at every race, or at least races with hills (not rollers, hills). Can someone tell me why, a good number of triathletes will insist on staying in their aerodynamic tuck up a hill while so many people pass them sitting up and spinning their pedals? How many people have to pass you before you realize you are doing it all wrong?  Yeah, you may catch back up to me by the next hill but after a few hills like this you will fall back and have no legs for the run. Trust me in this, there is no penalty for coming out of your tuck....just drafting!

As I know this bit of advice, may help some people beat me down the road, so I will consider this my Christmas gift to all!!!!

Happy Holidays!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 149 miles/ 6.92 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 26 miles/ 3.29 hours/ 7:35 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 3 miles/ 1.46 hours
Total - 10 workouts/ 178 miles/ 11.67 hours

2013
Bike - 249 rides/ 8114 miles/ 377.74 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 174 runs/ 1145.5 miles/ 141.02 hours/ 7:23 per mile
Swim - 147 swims/ 138 miles/ 67.79 hours
Total - 570 workouts/ 9739.5 miles/ 586.55 hours

Goals
Bike - 4-5 rides/ 145-165 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 25-30 miles
Swim - Not forget how to swim
Total -9-10 hours

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 

Kona 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment