Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Obligatory Year In Review - Sorry!

  


As much as it pains me, since I typically make fun of all cliches, I am embarking on my very own faux pas and subjecting you to my end of the year review. Now that you have been warned, it is time to close link and run while you can. Or you can just sit back and listen to the cool tune by The Black Keys!

Training for the year went incredibly well and I remained injury free (relatively) for the first time in years. It is amazing to think that I covered more miles biking, running and swimming than I did driving in my car. The difference is well over 4000+ miles. Now I will say that I only have a commute to work of about 1 mile. And yes, I drive it everyday. In my opinion, for what it is worth, I workout enough to be lazy and drive to work.

Here are 2013 totals:

Bike - 255 rides/ 8320 miles/ 387.84 hours/ 21.45mph
Run - 178 runs/ 1180 miles/ 145.40 hours/ 7:23 per mile
Swim - 147 swims/ 138 miles/ 67.79 hours
Total - 560 workouts/ 9638 miles/ 601.03 hours

My race season did not get off to a great start with a DNF at Ironman 70.3 Eagleman. This was my first mechanical DNF as I broke 3 spokes on my rear wheel. The rest of season improved with each race:

Happy Valley YMCA Sprint Triathlon - 10th overall
Brigantine Island Sprint Triathlon - 5th Overall
Keystone Sprint Triathlon - 2nd Overall

Then finally at the Quakerman Olympic Plus Triathlon, I achieved something I had yet to achieve in my triathlon career.....an Overall Win!!! Who would have guessed that I would have to wait till I was 44 years old to get my first overall victory. As they say.....

Faster As A Master! (maybe a good t-shirt idea for us old folks!?!?!?!?)

I am not going to set any training goals for this year as a lot of will depend on my results at Ironman 70.3 Eagleman. Obviously, these numbers will increase if I qualify for Kona and the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii! Maybe I should say when I qualify......that's not too overconfident, is it? If I should only qualify for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships then there really be no need to increase the volume of training but focus on more quality especially in the pool and on the run. So I guess by not specifying actual training goals, yet, I have given myself more opportunities to blog and keep you informed of my happenings! I bet the leaves all of you just overjoyed....Ha ha!

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 
 
Kona 2014!

(In case wondering, I will race for caffeine, ice cream or beer!)

KONA 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment