Sunday, June 9, 2013

Well, That F#*king Sucked!

 
Well that completely sucked!! Eagleman 70.3 did not go like I had planned.


If you cannot tell from the picture above, today's race did not go as well as planned. Yes, you see 3 broken spokes on one wheel that put an end to my race at mile 35. Mile 35 is where the 3rd spoke broke making it nearly impossible for the wheel to turn as it was completely rubbing the brake. To be honest, my race really ended at just past mile 15 where the first spoke popped. And man did it pop! I had just crossed mile 15 in just over 39:00 and my legs were feeling incredibly good when the 1st spoke popped. I have had a spoke pop before and been able to finish a ride or race so I figured let's see how far it gets. Unbelievably, the 2nd spoke popped 2-3 miles later. At that point it started rubbing the brake and I was reduced to 17-18 mph but I figured I might be able to finish. Well, all that came to an end at mile 35.

Now what???? The rest of my season was to be based off my finish here. I felt going into this race that I was going to be making a choice of either Vegas or Kona. Yeah, to some, that may seem cocky but my training had been going perfectly and I knew I was ready.  Well, I can officially rule out Kona as none of the other Ironman 70.3 races have Kona slots and I am not about potentially doing 2 Ironman races in one year. But now, do I take another crack at qualifying for Vegas? If so, where...Syracuse? Timberman? Or do I get real crazy and think Muncie or Boulder?

I guess I better decide soon (within the next 2-3 days) so I can start to plan my training. Well, given the short training day, this week will not have to be a recovery week.....

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 15-175 miles
Run - 4 runs/ 25-27 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 3 miles

Now time for another beer while I check race schedules and figure this crap out!

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?
 
What am I am on? 
 
I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! (Oh yeah, can't forget the eye drops 2x's a day)
 
That's what I am on!

Kona 2014 (Always adjusting goals - Ha Ha!)





2 comments:

  1. That sucks. FWIW, I would go with the soonest race you can get into (allowing for some recovery) to take advantage of your peak period.

    We enjoyed Timberman a great deal. Not sure it is best suited to your goals. If you are thinking about doing it, try to find accommodations first. Hotels, B&B's, etc sell out months in advance.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been taking this week to figure things out while getting some good training. I am weighing options for different races and I know I need to get back out there soon to take advantage of fitness.

    ReplyDelete