Monday, June 23, 2014

Getting Back At It


"Cause I am in a race and I'm doing fine...Thank you!"
Placebo - One of a Kind

Maybe I should just stick with Sprint Distance Triathlons! Just kidding......... All the glory is in the longer races.....ha ha!

This past weekend I competed in the Millheim Sprint Triathlon. The distances of the race were a 300 yard swim, 15 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Millheim is a very town in Central PA, smack in the middle of Amish country.

The set-up for this race was very low key compared to the higher profile races most of us do the rest of the year. It was an outdoor pool swim where you did 2 lengths in each lane and at the same time no flip turns were allowed. You finished the 300 yards at the steps leading out of the pool and were able to run directly out of the pool. About 60 yards, ran across a timing mat on your way to transition....a long way to transition. It had to be close to 150-200 yards to the bike. You biked out the other end of transition but did not cross a timing mat to head out on the bike. The next time you crossed that timing mat was heading out on the run, so you had to run 200 yards back towards the pool to get the start of your run time. So when you look at a bike split from this race, it will include both your transition times (which I kept on my watch). 

Official Race Report
Swim - 300 yards - 4:27 - 14seconds to timing mat (4:41 listed in results)
I was seeded 12th for the swim start. I went in with one maybe two goals for the swim. First goal was to break 4:30 and not be caught by anyone. The swim was done in time trial fashion on 20 second intervals. Now I will say it was weird to touch the wall and try push off into the lane next to you but in all in was success start to the race.

Transition - 2:04 (including close to 200 yard run to transition)

Bike - 15 miles - rolling to flat with 2 decent climbs 40:38 (22.15mph)
Looking at profile of the course (seeing the 2 climbs were in the last 4-5 miles) the plan was just to hammer the early portions of the bike course that ran along a creek. It was a very scenic course along the creek and through the area farms. I felt very strong and caught the swimmers who started in front of me pretty quickly, except one, the winner. With the set up of basically a time trial swim into the bike, I probably would not have anyone catching me so I just kept hammering. Coming into the transition I knew there was still one person out there but how far ahead and what swim seed he was so how much time did I really need to make up!

Transition - 1:11

Run - 20:50 - 6:43 per mile
The run was all on feel as there was no mile markers for splits. The legs felt good but mentally it was tough not knowing where the leader was as I did not see anyone till over a mile into the run. Seeing the leader heading back in at that point quickly made me realize 2nd place was the only option but at least it let me know I was still on the race course! Overall it was a solid run and I felt fresh given the heavy training that week!

Overall - 1:09:23 - 2nd Overall/1st Age Group 

A solid start back into racing after Eagleman. Now the plan is to compete in 3-4 more Sprint Distance races over the next 6-7 weeks. I still plan to finish the season with a longer race in September I am debating several 70.3 distance race and the craziness of a full Ironman. I also have my annual summer training week in the Poconos in 3 weeks during family vacation.This year's house will be amazing as it has a pool and hot tub!I still have some work to do and this week plan to add some resistance training back into the mix!

Now the question is which race next.......

This Saturday
Bald Bear Sprint - 1/4 mile swim/ 16.2 mile bike/ 2.3 mile run
Or wait two weeks
Happy Valley Sprint - 750 meter swim/ 11 mile bike/ 3.1 mile run

Decisions, decisions, decisions.........

Post race picture with my cool new beer mug! 

Thanks to Wattie Ink, Power Bar, Ism Saddles, Speedfil, Herbalife, Blue Seventy, Rudy Project, Spider Tech  for the great sore and helping me to recover quickly and follow up the race with a 61 mile bike ride! Training continues.......

Rock The W!




No comments:

Post a Comment