Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Time To Get Racing Again


"I can't believe that we would lie in graves
  wondering if we had spent our living days well
  I can't believe that we would lie in graves
  wondering what we might of been"

Lie In Our Graves - DMB

Now what??

One thing I have learned, from coaching my athletes, is not everything is going to go the way you want in racing & being able to adjust goals & be realistic about them is the key to handling a not so good race!

After taking 4-5 days to ease back into normal training, I realized it was time to get back to racing & set goals for the remainder of the 2014 race season. But what goals? What races? Here are some ideas I have been thinking for my the remainder of the 2014 race season:
  1. Ultimately, the goal is to get back to Kona! Thinking about it a bit more since Eagleman, maybe I need one more year of training under my belt before making realistic shot at Kona. In reality, I am only beginning my 3rd year of returning to triathlons after a 15 year break. In my previous triathlon career, it took me 4 years to qualify for Kona and that was when I had a 5 year plan to qualify.
  2. Race a bunch of sprint and Olympic distance races from now till the end of August. The goal would be 4-5 races in that time. 
  3. Finish the season with a 70.3 in September or.............
  4. Craziest idea -  Complete a late season full Ironman to potentially qualify for Kona in 2015. If I choose this option, I better get cracking on the training. (I truly am insane!) Can one get ready for an Ironman in 3 months?                    
Here is a list of races that I am looking at for the remainder of the year (not planning on racing them all - that would be crazy and expensive!):
  1. June 21st - Millheim Sprint Triathlon (300yd/15 mile/3.1 mile)
  2. June 28th - Bald Bear Triathlon (.25 mile/16.2 mile/2.3 mile)
  3. July 6th - Happy Valley Triathlon (750m/12 mile/3.1 mile) - finished 10th in 2013
  4. July 20th - Anthracite Triathlon (1.5k/40k/10k) 
  5. August 2nd - Brigantine Island Sprint Triathlon (.25 mile/11 mile/4 mile) - finished 5th in 2013
  6. August 16th - Lewisburg Sprint Triathlon (300yd/15 mile/3.25 mile)
  7. August 24th - Keystone Sprint Triathlon (.5 mile/18.2 mile/3.2 mile) - finished 2nd in 2013
  8. September 6th - Quakerman Olympic + Triathlon (1000m/39mile/6.2 mile) - finished 1st in 2013
  9. September 14th - Rev 3 Pocono Olympic or 70.3 
  10. September 20th - Ironman Maryland (2.4 mile/112 mile/26.2 mile) - if crazy enough
Racing kicks off this weekend with the Millheim Sprint Triathlon & right now, Brigantine & Keystone are definite! The rest of the schedule is up in the air. The ones in red look enticing to me but the rest, who knows. My goal is to get 5-6 races between now and a longer race to end the season. Maybe I should let you, the readers, choose the schedule (OK - Maybe the few people who do read this!!!).

Regardless of my goal for the remainder of the year, one thing remains the same.......Raising money for Miles for Melanoma!

Please check out my story at this link: Miles For Melanoma - Marty Owens

Time to get back to Rocking the W!







No comments:

Post a Comment