Sunday, July 6, 2014

Another Chance To Rock the W!


Counting today's race, the past four weeks have been a high volume/intensity block of training (by my standards). All of this training is geared towards finishing up the 2014 season with a couple of longer races (70.3 distance). Despite favoring the longer races, sprint triathlons are a great way to get out of one's comfort zone and hammer! I am hoping that 2-3 more sprint triathlons, over the next 5-6 weeks, with the high volume of training will pay off with strong results in the longer races at the end of the season.

Past Four Weeks Training
Bike - 16 rides/ 597 miles/ 28.62 hours/ 20.85 mph
Run - 14 runs/ 90 miles/ 11.18 hours/ 7:27 per mile
Swim - 13 swims/ 11 miles/ 5.55 hours
Total - 43 workouts/ 698 miles/ 45.35 hours
Per Week - 10.75 workouts/1745 miles/ 11.34 hours

So, going into today's race, I was not sure how my body would feel given the numbers above and not tapering before this race, 30 mile bike ride yeaterday. Overall, I am very pleased with my result from today given that I was able to go faster than last year given the past 4 weeks training. I know tapered I could have gone several minutes faster but I am keeping things in perspective and things are looking good for the final longer races of the season! 

Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon Report
Swim - 750 Meters/Pool Swim - 12:26
The day gets started with 4 people per lane (2 on each end) in Penn State's outdoor pool It is a long course (50 meter) set-up which is interesting after training in a 25 yard pool. After you, exit the pool you have about a 50 meter run before you cross a timing mat going in T1. My swim has been making some breakthroughs in training the past few weeks and it is finally showing in my results.

T1 - 1:20 (includes run from pool to start of bike)

Bike - 12.2 miles - 33:23/21.9 mph
The bike course is not what I would call flat but at the same time I would not say it was hilly. There were 3 steady climbs throughout the course.  I did not feel the strongest on the bike but it was still a solid bike. I think my legs felt a little of the effects of the previous 4 weeks of high volume training. Probably left a minute or two out on the course but worked on keeping legs fresh for the run. I kept a steady high RPM in the small chain ring today.

T2 - :37 (getting faster)

Run - 20:01 - 5K/6:27
Off the bike, it did not take long for my legs to get in a strong steady rhythm. The strategy of not hammering the bike and spinning more on the bike definitely helped my run today. Like the bike course, the run course is a rolling out and back course. I ran this completely on feel but wish they had mile markers to take some splits to analyze after the race. It, by far, was the best I felt off the bike in my three races this year.

Total - 1:07:48 - 1st Age Group (40-49)/ 13th Overall (48 seconds faster than last year)

I am not sure what race will be next but I do know that tomorrow I am right back to this high volume block of training. In 6 days it will be time for the Owens family annual trip to the Poconos or as I call it, Pocono Tri Camp! That week will be highlighted by lots of climbing on the run and bike. Over the next 5-6 weeks, I have several races in mind before taking on a longer race in September. Here are potential races:

July 20th - Anthrocite Olympic Distance Triathlon 1.5k swim/ 40k bike/ 10k run
August 2nd - Brigantine Island Triathlon - 1/4 mile swim/ 11 mile bike/ 4 mile run
August 10th - Steelman Sprint Triathlon - 860 yd swim/ 14.4 mile bike/ 5K run
August 16th - Lewisburg Sprint Triathlon - 300yd swim/ 15 mile bike/ 3.25 mile run
August 24th - Keystone Sprint Triathlon - 1/2 mile swim/ 18.2 mile bike/ 5k run

Thanks again to Wattie Ink for the coolest racing kit and a great list of sponsors of the team! Power Bar, Speedfil, ISM Seats, Herbalife! Your support goes a long way in helping me achieve my results! 

Rock the W!

Photo Credit - Katie Meier (thanks for driving 75 minutes to be there)


No comments:

Post a Comment