Saturday, October 12, 2013

I Could Not Help Myself With This Rule.......



 Ironman World Championship Day!!!

Like most triathletes today, I have been glued to either my Iphone or laptop since my teams completed their races today and we got on the bus for our trip home. Watching the coverage reminds of my two trips to Kona and it heightens my motivation to get back there in 2014 (as if I needed to raise my motivation). At the same time, I watch and like many "normal" people, I wonder what makes people do such an event?!?!?! If you asked the average person if they wanted to finish a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run event, they would ask how many days they have to complete it. Of course they would ask that right after they asked....are you nuts? I need not go any further....Watch the video.... It just might be a cult!


   


Given that it is Ironman week, I almost thought better to continue my rules and give it a one week break. Then I saw something at the meet today that I could not resist and so we move on to  my next rule...........(I just wish I got a picture of this)

Rule # ? 
Compression Gear In Public Does Not As Cool As You Think.........(Give it a break sometimes)

Why I know that the science says compression gear can be effective, but why do we as triathletes seem to take it to far. At first I thought it was cool seeing a few Ironman t-shirts and hats in honor of the day, but then I saw it..... my inspiration for today. As I walked towards mile 3, I saw a parent wearing an Ironman shirt but to my dismay I notice that he was wearing his compression socks with shorts. He was not there competing or did I.....he was just taking pictures. All I could was just shake my head and wonder why??? The obsessive use of compression gear is one the major reasons triathletes seem to catch a bad rap. I wonder at times that if triathletes do it in purpose hoping someone will ask why they are wearing it.  It is not just after races but also during races that its privileges seem to be abused. I even witnessed a competitor wearing compression sleeves on his arm for the swim portion of a race. Call me crazy but the last time I checked the swim was pretty much non-weight bearing to truly need the compression sleeves.... So for the sake of all triathletes everywhere please remember, compression gear is not some sort of badge of honor!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 138 miles/ 6.46 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 25.5 miles/ 3.21 hours? 7:32 pr mile
Swim - 2 swims/ 1.5 miles/ .58 hours
Total - 9 workouts/ 165 miles/ 10.25 hours

2013
Bike - 202 rides/ 6574 miles/ 305.86 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 142 runs/ 932.5 miles/ 114.47 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 118 swims/ 111 miles/ 54.63 hours
Total - 462 workouts/ 7617.5 miles/ 474.96 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 140-160 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 25-30 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2-3 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 
Kona 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment