Saturday, October 26, 2013

Don't Be A Fred!

  

Fall may finally be here! (Unfortunately that means winter will be here soon......UGH!!!)

After a fairly mild September and October, cooler temps are now hitting Central PA. With the cooler temps also comes a constant wind that will stop sometime next spring or summer. As much as I like the scenery of the colorful leaves and hills of the area, I am not the biggest fan of the cooler/colder temps that are typical for this area. Every year as the temperatures change, in my opinion, for the worse, I question my move out of Vegas 12 years ago. Yeah, the summers could be get a tad hot but the ability to train outside all year round was nice. Now there will be a few days that I will get outside but the what seems like endless days on the indoor trainer are almost here. My coaching track & field and hosting numerous meets makes the winter months seem to go by a little quicker which helps make the days on the indoor trainer a little more bearable. Now before you think I am a complete wimp, I do get outside for my running and only move inside on to the indoor track when it calls for speed workouts.

Now time for my latest rule for all triathletes:

Rule # ? - Leave The Aero Helmet Home For Training Rides
Now, I agree that triathletes get a bad rap from cyclists but sometimes we do it to ourselves. One of the biggest things that draws attention and ridicule is wearing an aero helmet for a training ride. Simply put, unless you are competing in a time trial or triathlon there is no need for an aero helmet on a training ride. As cyclist say, don't be a Fred! And if you are not sure of what a Fred is...the urban dictionary defines a Fred as someone who does stupid, annoying or idiotic things. It is synonymous with dingle, jerk, riddler and idiot and none of us what to be one of those. (More fashion rules still to come)

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 162 miles/ 7.74 hours/ 20.9 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 15.5 miles/ 1.95 hours/ 7:32 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.75 miles/ 1.34 hours
Total - 11 workouts/ 180.25 miles/ 11.03 hours

2013
Bike - 211 rides/ 6875 miles/ 320.45 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 148 runs/ 974 miles/ 119.59 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 124 swims/ 116.5 miles/ 56.35 hours
Total -473 workouts/ 7965.5 miles/ 496.39 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4-5 rides/ 145-60 miles
Run - 23-4 runs/ 20-25 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2-2.5 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 
 
Kona 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment