Sunday, October 20, 2013

Don't Be That Guy

               
  


A day late but as they say better late than never........

Yesterday was a hectic day as we hosted our Ashley Tomlinson Alumni Cross-Country Run and it was also our Homecoming weekend so that means a day of meeting with some great alumni all day. It is always fun to see the past teams interact with the current team and share stories of past races and training days. I enjoy meeting alumni that ran prior to my arrival at SU and hearing their descriptions of runs that we still do today.  Yesterday we had alumni from last year's graduation class to our oldest alumni this year who was from the class of 1963!

Rule time!!!!!

Sometimes it is the silliest things that give me motivation to write these rules but this one comes from a movie scene in the movie PCU. This one scene says it all and as with most of my rules it carries over to all endurance athletes.

Rule # ? - Wearing Race Day T-Shirts Must Wait 24 Hours
I know in the sport of triathlons there are many new participants each year and they may not know this rule but we must educate them. Maybe when an athlete gets their swag bag there should be a note on the t-shirt that says that it can't be worn till the next day. Here is an idea.....t-shirts should be in a sealed bag that can't be opened till the next day. As with the scene above, there should be no wearing of a previous year race t-shirt to that race. Despite what some may think, most people don't care that you did that race last year. I have discussed the different aspects of this rule with many athletes in the past and the majority seem to agree. If people follow the 24 hour rule, I will not need to go into my biggest pet peeve......Wearing the race day t-shirt during the race!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 139 miles/ 6.86 hours/ 20.3 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 26 miles/ 3.17 hours/ 7:19 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.75 miles/ 1.38 hours
Total - 10 workouts/ 167.75 miles/ 1.38 hours

2013
Bike - 206 rides/ 6713 miles/ 312.71 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 145 runs/ 958.5 miles/ 117.64 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 121 swims/ 113.75 miles/ 55.01 hours
Total - 472 workouts/ 7785.25 miles/ 485.36 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 140-50 miles
Run - 3 runs/ 25-30 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2-3 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 

Kona 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment