Saturday, August 24, 2013

Time To Hurt!! (In A Good Way)



It is hard to believe that the summer is almost over and my opportunities to race will be very limited till the end of the triathlon season. Being I live in the middle Atlantic region that means that early October marks the end of the season. There might be opportunities for duathlons but I will be the first to admit, I do well with very cold water temps, wetsuit or not.

After racing tomorrow I figure I have about 4-6 weeks left to hopefully get 1 or 2 more races. The desire to race is not an issue for me it is the same dilemma I run into during the track & field season that limits my opportunities in the late summer/early fall races. My dilemma is I have to look for races around my team's cross-country schedule.Anyone who has ever coached cross-country and/or track & field can tell you, trying to race the day after coaching at a meet can be brutal. Yeah it is true that I am not actually competing but when you are on your feet for 3-4 + hours or on the road for 5-8 hours having fresh legs the next day is not a guarantee.

Tomorrow I am racing the Keystone Sprint Triathlon. It is a race that I competed in last year so like Brigantine, it will give me a good idea where I stand as I start plan out my 2014 season. Last year, I finished the .5 mile swim, 18.2 mile bike and 3.1 mile race in 1:28:18 for a 7th place finish overall. While I would love to move up into the top 5, my ultimate goal is to drop 2-3 minutes from last year's time and see where that places. My training shows I am ready for this goal but as we all know anything can happen on race day. With it being a sprint triathlon, the only thing that is certain is that it will be 1 hour 25 minute balls to walls, all out racing for me. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.

New Training Totals
Week
Bike  4 rides/ 135 miles/ 5.87 hours/ 23.0 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 23.75 miles/ 2.87 hours/ 7:15 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.5 miles/ 1.39 hours
Total - 10 workouts 161.25 miles/ 10.13 hours

2013
Bike - 172 rides/ 5591 miles/ 258.86 hours/ 21.6 mph
Run - 118 runs/ 751.75 miles/ 92.46 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 102 swims/ 58 miles/ 48.49 hours
Total - 392 workouts/ 6400.75 miles/ 399.81 hours

Goals This Week (Including Race)
Race Keystone Sprint Triathlon ( .5m swim/ 18.2 mile bike/ 3.1 mile run)
Bike - 4-5 rides/ 140-150 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 23-27 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.5-3 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I am on?


I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery!
That's what I am on!

Kona/Vegas 2014!

High Volume Training for an amazing 2014 starts soon! (Who needs to rest?!?!?!?)



No comments:

Post a Comment