Saturday, August 17, 2013

Camp On To Camp Off Back To Camp On



"Its funny how life turns out
  The odds of faith in the face of doubt
  Camera one closes in
  The soundtrack starts"
Camera One by Josh Joplin Group 

One camp complete and one to begin........

After working at RunningWorks Cross-Country Camp in the Poconos, today I returned to Selinsgrove for the start of SUXC preseason which opens tomorrow. Working this camp is six days of working with a cool staff and eager high school athletes with one common goal.....pushing the limits of the human body and getting the most of one's given ability.

I have been working this camp for 10 years. As much as I seem to pick up something new from a fellow staff member each year to use with my team, I think the biggest thing I get out of the week is the passion that younger athletes have for running and the fun they have trying to improve their personal bests! I am sure they will say they learn plenty if not more from the great staff, I have the pleasure to work with, but I can also say I take a lot from them even if they don't see their influence on me. Especially over the past few years, these young athletes have reminded me that our endeavors in endurance sports cannot always be measured in wins or losses but measured more by personal records.

Like those that will return to camp next year, I hope I will also be a better athlete and continue to push my ability to a higher level. I hope none of us ever lose sight of this........

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 6 rides/ 182 miles/ 8.48 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 7 runs/ 36.5 miles/ 4.64 hours/ 7:50 per mile
Swim - NA (No pool)
Total - 1 workouts/ 218.25 miles/ 13.12 hours

2013
Bike - 168 rides/ 5456 miles/ 252.99 hours/ 21.6 mph
Run - 115 runs/ 728 miles/ 89.59 hours/ 7:23 per mile
Swim - 99 swims/ 55.5 miles/ 47.09 hours
Total - 372 workouts/ 6239.5 miles/ 389.67 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 140-150 miles
Run - 3 runs/ 22-25 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2-3 miles
Race next Sunday!

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I am on?

I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery!

That's what I am on!

Kona/Vegas 2014!

High Volume Training for an amazing 2014 starts soon!

Now time for beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment