Saturday, August 3, 2013

This Racing Thing Can Be Fun


(1st song on Race Day playlist on Ipod)

Race Wheels plus no broken spokes equals a fast bike split! 2nd fastest bike split of the day!

This morning I competed in the Brigantine Island Sprint Triathlon. This race will give a good idea of how my training has been going as I did this race last year. I definitely feel in much better shape than last year but needed a race to give me a true indication where I am. The distances of the race were 1/4 mile swim/ 11 mile bike/ 4 mile run. It was a muggy overcast morning but not too hot. There was a slight breeze but nothing that I think would make the race challenging.

The swim went much better than last year but still not my best. I know I have a lot of work but sometimes it is tough to judge a pool swim to a bay swim when you will have current issues plus the old question....is the course marked accurately?!?!?! That really is not that much of issue as everyone swims the same course. The transition from swim to bike is a long one. It was a 100 yard run to the transition area and the transition area is longer than two city blocks.

Now that my least favorite part is done.....Let the race really begin!!

I will say I was nervous about this race for only one reason...It was the first time I have raced with these wheels since my broken spoke fiasco at Eagleman. Now since, I have had the rear wheel rebuilt and the front checked over several times. Even with these precautions, I was still a little anxious. Trying not to think about the wheels I started hammering down the riders that were in front of me. I found a gear I could spin at 23.9 mph into the wind and geared down once we headed back north. The last 2 miles or so were back into the breeze so found that gear that did not take too much out of legs and still maintain high mph! Plus I wanted to loosen legs up for the 4 mile run. Official splits was 27:16/24. 2 mph & 2nd fastest bike split.

My plan was to run a steady pace for the entire run. Unfortunately there were no mile markers to get splits and check pace. I exited transition with someone who within the 1st mile could not maintain pace. Luckily I had some carrots in sight the entire 4 miles to use as motivation and reel in. I believe I passed 7-8 runners in the four miles. My focus was not to settle as I came upon runners but to continue to press the pace. It felt very strong the entire way! Official split was 26:20 for 4 miles.

Overall, my time was 1:04:58 which was a 3 minute 4 second improvement from last year. I did place 1st in my age group and 5th Overall.

Official Results
Brigantine Island Sprint Triathlon

Beer time! Tonight's celebratory beer is Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale out of San Jose, CA!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/140 miles/ 6.49 hours/ 21.6 mph
Run - 4 runs/ 23.5 miles/ 2.86 hours/ 7:18 per mile
Swim - 4 swims/ 2.5 miles/ 1.37 hours
Total - 13 workouts/ 166 miles/ 10.72 hours

2013
Bike - 158 rides/ 5124 miles/ 237.63 hours/ 21.6 mph
Run - 105 runs/ 665.75 miles/ 81.71 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 96 swims/ 92.75 miles/ 45.67 hours
Total - 359 workouts/ 5882.5 miles/ 365.01 hours

Goals This Week (Focus is still on speed!)
Bike - 5 Rides/ 135-155 miles
Run - 4 runs/ 23-25 miles (track workout)
Swim - 3 swims/ 3 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I am on?


I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery!
 
That's what I am on!

Kona/Vegas 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment