Saturday, August 10, 2013

Enjoy The Journey


"In these bodies we will live...."
Awake My Soul - Mumford & Sons

Why is that it takes a tragic situation to make us stop and think about life and it's fragility?

This past week I learned that a former athlete of mine (Tyson Snader) suffered a serious spinal cord injury sliding head first down a slide into a pond. After two surgeries the doctors were able to stabilize the neck but feel at most he may regain use of his arms and hands but he will not walk again. While he was a very talented runner and very competitive while at SU, he always put the team and his teammates first. He was a character and free spirit but his heart was always in the right place. After he graduated, he even took time to hike the Appalachian Trail (south to north). He truly was an individual who made it a point to enjoy life and everything it had to offer.

Here is a link regarding Tyson:  Tyson's story

Learning of his accident and taking some time to let the it sink in, only reinforced my new philosophy of training and racing as I made my return to triathlons last summer. I realize now that I can be very competitive and train hard at the same time enjoy the journey. I am not trying to stereotype all but in following people on Twitter and/or Facebook, but I think there are way too many triathletes/endurance athletes that take their training and racing way too seriously. Trust me, in my first life as a triathlete I was like these people so I can speak from experience. Looking back it, I had some tremendous successes (2x Ironman Hawaii competitor/ 4:31 overall time at Wildflower as amateur - I believe I was either 2 or 3rd overall amateur) but I really am not sure if I totally appreciated it or enjoyed it like I appreciate everything now.  Given my personality, it is probably the reason I had to take huge step back and walk away from triathlons at that time. Now, I take time:
  • to train with others, even if not always at the same ability
  • drink beers when I want and the occasional shot
  • eat what many triathletes would consider unhealthy - foods with gluten
  • offer advice to any one who ask
  • listen to stories of others races and not just talk of my own
  • take in the scenery while riding/running (no scenery in pool)
Am I still competitive? Yes! 
Do I still want to improve? Yes!
Am I still getting results? Yes!
Do I still want to get back to Kona? Hell Yes!
Am I enjoying it more than I did then? Yes - The most important yes!

I ask all of you to really think about how you go about things and ask yourself if you truly are enjoying the journey! If you are not competing as a professional, it should never get to the point where it feels like a job. If it is.......take sometime to enjoy some of the things I listed above and get back to where it was fun! (Feel free to send me ideas to add to this list if like)

This also not an epiphany moment as any one who has read my blog over the past 12-15 months will know I have been preaching this for a while now. I don't want to see others fall into the trap I did in my first go around.

Time to finish this beer and post...........

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 150 miles/ 6.88 hours/ 21.8 mph
Run -  3 runs/ 26 miles/ 3.25 hours/ 7:30 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.75 miles/ 1.43 hours
Total - 10 workouts/ 178.75 miles/ 11.56 hours

2013
Bike - 162 rides/ 5274 miles/ 244.51 hours/ 21.6 mph
Run - 108 runs/ 691.75 miles 84.95 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 99 swims/ 95.5 miles/ 47.09 hours
Total - 369 workouts/ 6061.25 miles/ 376.55 hours

Goals This Week
Running Works Cross-Country Camp Week
Bike - 4-5 rides/ 150-170 miles
Run - 5 runs/ 30-35 miles 
Swim - N/A - Pool closed/ camp week

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I am on?


I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery!
 
That's what I am on!

Kona/Vegas 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment