Saturday, May 11, 2013

Why So Serious????




Earlier today I posted a link to a satirical list of cycling rules on my Facebook page. The list of rules is quite lengthy but some of them are very funny and very spot on to the world of cycling. After reading all of the rules, I found, unfortunately, there are a few rules I have broken over the years but I could not help myself. So before this blog entry gets too long, it made me think that in over the years of triathlon's existence someone had to compile list of "unofficial" triathlon rules. Low and behold through the power of Google, I was able to come across a list that was posted on Slow Twitch rules a year ago. Once again, I thought the person who compiled a great list of rules did a good job and he kept it humorous.....or so I thought he did!


I started reading the replies figuring people were adding their rules and I was surprised by the number of replies that were negative because a person may have been offended. Did those people, skip Rule #1? I think all triathletes need to remember that we are in this crazy sport together! Most people do think we are nuts for doing what we do. Hell, there are many days I wake up and wonder why any sane person would do this. I think we should all embrace our insanity and stop being so damn serious sometimes. Like the NCAA advertisement says, most of us are not going pro! This takes me to Rule #16. Some of the best post race set-ups that I have seen in my 20+ years of endurance (triathlon/running/cycling) competition had beer! If of age (of course), enjoy that post race adult beverage...it won't ruin what you just did in the race! Put the beet juice down and pick up that brew! It goes with Rule #14 and supporting the sponsors. I think it is funny how so many triathletes will stop drinking when big races are fast approaching but so many of these races have sponsorship from beverage companies. Have triathletes forgot the days of the Coors Light or Bud Light Series? Maybe I should look at the cycling list of rules, the triathlon rules and some of my rules I posted in previous weeks and form my own unofficial rules of triathlons or competition in general......What do you think? Oh yeah.........my training

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 173 miles/ 8.09 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 23 miles/ 2.86 hours/ 7:26 per mile
Swim - 4 swims/ 4 miles/ 1.96 hours
Total - 12 workouts/ 200 miles/ 12.91 hours

2013
Bike - 104 rides/ 3203 miles/ 146.11 hours/ 21.9 mph
Run - 63 runs/ 360.25 miles/ 44.01 hours/ 7:20 per mile
Swim - 62 swims/ 60.5 miles/ 29.52 hours
Total - 229 workouts/ 3623.75 miles/ 219.64

Goals This Week (Last High Volume Week Before Eagleman)
Bike - 5 rides/ 170-80 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 25-30 miles
Swim - 3-4 swims/ 3-4 miles


People will often ask what am I on to complete my training? 

What am I am on? 

I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! (Oh yeah, can't forget the eye drops 2x's a day)

That's what I am on!

Kona 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment