Sunday, May 19, 2013

Taper Time - Well Not For Everything!



Hay is in the barn! (WOW! just starting off and I have already dropped one cheesy cliche)

As of today, it is now just 3 short weeks till the Endurafit Ironman 70.3. All the big volume weeks of training are behind me. I can honestly say, after the past 4 weeks of 12-13 hours of training, I am going into this 70.3 with a lot more confidence than last summer's 70.3. Yeah, I have set what some people might think are lofty goals, but I don't know any other way to do things - Go Big or Go Home! (cheesy cliche #2) Ultimately, the plan is to qualify for Kona as qualifying for a return trip to Kona was the main reason to return to triathlons. Yeah, getting old and often injured from running the past 3-4 years did factor in my decision to return to triathlons. I know age is but a number (cheesy cliche #3)  but sometimes age wins and reminds you that you are no spring chicken anymore!

While over the next 3 weeks, I will be reducing the volume of my training but there are a few things that in no way could I reduce: coffee, ice cream, diet coke and beer! Besides, I am not sure if everybody I know would like to see me reduce my coffee or caffeine intake. Plus, the ice cream is my defense against stress-fractures and the beer is for my sanity! Why would I change if all the things worked during my training? I'll never get why so many of the triathletes I know cut things so drastically in the lead up to a race. It might be presumptuous of me but I really believe that many would have the same if not better results if people stayed - NORMAL! As a matter of fact, I am having a beer as I finish up this post.

Cheers!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 164 miles/ 7.92 hours/ 20.7mph
Run - 4 runs/ 24.5 miles/ 2.99 hours/ 7:19 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 3 miles/ 1.47 hours
Total - 12 workouts/ 191/5 miles/ 12.38 hours

2013
Bike - 109 rides/ 3367 miles/ 154.03 hours/ 21.9 mph
Run - 67 rides/ 348.75 miles/ 47.01 hours/ 7:20 per mile
Swim - 65 swims/ 63.5 miles/ 31.01 hours
Total - 241 workouts/ 3815.25 miles/ 232.05 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 140-150 miles
Run - 4 runs/ 24-28 miles
Swim - 4 swims/ 3-4 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training? 
What am I am on? 
I am on my bike 7-8 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-2 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! (Oh yeah, can't forget the eye drops 2x's a day)
That's what I am on!

Kona 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment