Sunday, January 16, 2011

Base = BORING!



As most endurance athletes will agree with me, Base Building is very boring but necessary. And to think, I still have 10 more weeks of Base Building - JOY! And I know this because I actually have my training schedule planned out till the end of June. I am not sure if I was ever this organized with my training, even when I was training for the Ironman World Championships. This first phase of Base Training is boring because it focuses solely on time on the bike without a lot of intensity. This first phase last two more weeks then in Phase 2 some tempo and hill workouts are added into the mix. Without access to a power meter (which I think would be interesting to train with), all workouts are based on heart rate and making sure I stay within the prescribed range. I am trying to be smarter about this than I was about my last few years of running, where I lacked a lot of patience.

This week was a very good week. I added some running back into my training by I missed one day so not the perfect week. I did get my two days of weight lifting as I was scheduled. I can definitely feel my pedal stroke getting stronger with the added weight training. This week I added some weight to each lift. On the bike it was a very solid week. Here are the totals for the week and year this far:

Week: 7 rides/ 11hours 5minutes/ 240 miles/21,7mph
Year: 16 rides/25hours 35minutes/557 miles/21.8mph

This week will be interesting as winter break ends for the school and my schedule will now be filled with coaching. And what a week to return to a normal schedule of work, the biggest week of Phase 1.

Goals for week: Biking 13 hours/ 3 Days Lifting/ 2 Days Running (3-4 miles)

Last thing to insert into training schedule are "B" & "C" races into Building Phases of training. Those races to be announced soon.

TdO - 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment