Friday, July 21, 2017

Crawling In My Skin


" Discomfort, endlessly has pulled
   Itself upon me distracting, reacting
   Against my will I stand beside my own reflection
   It's haunting how I can't seem
   To find myself again
   My walls are closing in"

Crawling - Linkin Park

I know in my last post I mentioned about getting more positive about my dealings with depression but given the news of Chester Bennington, I figure I needed one more reality check for the masses post before moving on! 

Some facts about depression:
  1.  Even positive events such as graduating, getting married, a new job can lead to depression.
  2.  At some point in their lives, about one in four Americans will experience depression.
  3.  More than 20 million people in the United States suffer from depression in a given year.
  4.  As many as 15% of those who suffer from some form of depression take their lives each year.
  5.  Because the brains of older people are more vulnerable to chemical abnormalities, they are more likely than young people to suffer depression.
  6.  Approximately 80% sufferers of depression are not receiving treatment.
  7.  The World Health Organization estimates that depression will be the second highest medical cause of disability by the year 2030, second only to HIV/AIDS.
  8.  Many creative individuals have experienced depression, including Robert Schumann, Ludwig van Beethoven, Peter Tchaikovsky, John Lennon, Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, Georgia O’Keefe, Vincent van Gogh, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Sylvia Plath.
  9.  Depressed individuals have two times greater overall mortality risk than the facts general population due to direct (e.g., suicide) and indirect (medical illness) causes.
These are just a few facts about depression that I found that I thought would hit home similar to the suicide of Chester Bennington of Linkin Park. These nine facts are from a list of 57 facts on Fact Retreiver.

It is amazing to think that one in four Americans will experience depression in their lifetime, more than 20 million people suffer from depression in a given year and as many as 15% of those who suffer from some form of depression take their lives each year. If one in four suffer depression, I can guess you know or unknowingly know somebody who is suffering from depression. If reading this, I am that one in four for you!

So as you can see, someone suffering from depression, in any form, is very common. 

So is if it is so prevalent, why does it take suicides of celebrities such as Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington or Robin Williams to bring attention, albeit briefly, to the issue?!?!?

If it is so prevalent, what is the stigma that causes  80% of those suffering from depression to refuse to get help?

In addition to my own denial, I was also a victim of that stigma of getting help that existed and left me where I am in my own situation. I am no longer afraid to admit, I am one of four that suffer from depression but I am finally no longer apart of the 80% that do not receive treatment.

Here are some reasons why people, including myself, do not seek help:
  1. Fear and shame - Most people realize there is a negative stigma associated with having a mental illness and fear being labeled “mentally ill” or “crazy.” They are concerned about how such a label could negatively impact their career, education, or other life goals.
  2. Feelings of inadequacy  - Many people believe they are inadequate or a failure if they have to admit something is “wrong” with their mental health. Further, they believe they “should be able to handle things” on their own without assistance and that they must be weak or inferior to have to ask for help. 
  3. Distrust -  It’s difficult to consider revealing personal details to a doctor or counselor. Many express concern about “telling a stranger” about their problems. Additionally, they worry that their personal information won’t be kept confidential.
  4. Hopelessness - Some people have become demoralized by their mental health issues and believe “nothing will help me” or “I’ll never get better.” These beliefs can be due to depression or hopelessness, and can be substantial roadblocks to seeking help.
Yes, I know, situations such as Chester Bennington, Chris Cornell and Robin Williams drawn more attention to depression/suicide because of their fame but I think the point people could get most of their situations is this......You just never know! Too often, we are great at masking our demons and looking happy and when asked how we are, we deliver that convincing "I'm Fine" answer.

If you are curious, here are signs to look for if you believe somebody might not be themselves lately:
  1. Loss of interest in things that previous brought the person pleasure
  2. Sleep difficulty
  3. Eating changes - Either too little or too much
  4. Anger & Irritability
  5. Expressing negative thoughts
  6. Suicidal ideas
  7. Loss of confidence in oneself 
We will not stop depression but we can stop the stigma of depression so more people are not afraid and get to the point where they see no other option than suicide!

#StopTheStigma #ImFine #Iam1in4

My next tattoo


















No comments:

Post a Comment