Sunday, January 18, 2015

Why Try To Reinvent The Wheel??

 
"I'm always wanting more
 Anything I haven't got
 Everything, I want it all
 I just can't stop"
Want -The Cure

Over the years we have had so many different diet fads........(Yes, sorry to disappoint some but they are fads).........

Grapefruit Diet, South Beach Diet, Atkin's Diet, Blood Type Diet, Paleo Diet, Zone Diet, Pritikin Principle....Just to name a few!

Bu watching television the other day I saw a commercial that said to me......blog post! 


Yes folks, you read that correctly.....The Pub Diet! From the kind folks at Applebees who are truly concerned about your health (OK, maybe just a hint of sarcasm in the sentence). These menu choices are said to be packed with protein but low in calories. But before you think Paleo, hold on, not so fast! To add a slight twist to the Paleo Diet, they team their protein dishes with whole grains (the devil in the Paleo Diet) creating their own diet. And to not get too far from the real purpose of  their existence, they even suggest a low calorie drink such as a "Skinnybee" Pomegranate 'Rita (just 130 calories) to wash down the meal.It is just a classic example of corporation trying to make a buck on the latest fad!

Maybe their dishes are healthy and I will give them the benefit of the doubt for trying, but it is Applebees not a five star restaurant. Applebees are basically glorified burger joints that serve alcohol!!! Trust me, I am not against a true pub meal as I am one who could always go for a burger and beer! As competitive (using the term loosely) athlete, when it comes to pub food, healthy choices are not always my first concern when I enter the door. I figure that I train enough that having that beer and burger won't kill me! I have often suggested that ending some training sessions at a bar of choice is a wise decision and will often get more people to train with you. Here is my idea of a true "Pub Diet"....... Beer, Burger, Fries (preferably sweet potato), Nachos, Onion Rings, did I mention beer!!!! Hell I am drinking a nice Victory Storm King Stout as I type this (Carboloading for my training this week)!

Not too much to report to on my training as I am still in my base training! Slow and boring!! Volume of training is starting to increase as I hit 11 hours and 18 minutes of cardiovascular work but still a long way to go before tackling that 140.6 distance of the Ironman. Latest training totals:

Eleven Weeks Of Base Training @ MAF:
Bike - 46 rides/ 1523 miles/ 71.35 hours/ 21.34 mph
Run - 35 runs/ 263.25 miles/ 35.92 hours/ 8:11 per mile
Swim - 21 swims/ 20 miles/ 9.43 hours
Total - 102 workouts/ 1806.25 miles/ 116.7 hours
(12 Suspension Training sessions)
Per Week - 9.27 workouts/ 164.2 miles/ 10.61 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment