Sunday, January 4, 2015

Taking This Blog To A New Level - Part 2 (Race Schedule)


"And I'll never be royals (royals).
 It don't run in our blood,
 That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
 We crave a different kind of buzz.
Royals - as sung by Bruce Springsteen

Since my post the other day, with my 2015 goals out there for all to see,  I figured I better start setting my potential race schedule for 2015. What is the point of training goals without some races? Right?  

For 2015, I am looking to race 7-8 times including racing at least one full Ironman distance race. Like many triathletes, my ultimate goal would be to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii. Being a cross-country/track and field coach, my weekends are busy with meets till Memorial Day so it makes racing prior to June very tough. It is not the most lucrative profession, in terms of money, making things tough given the cost for entry fees and travel to some of the high profile races. 

Damn it!!! I always seems that work gets in the way!!! Isn't that how it always is?? Ha Ha! Maybe it is time to play the lottery....I believe Powerball is up to $141 million on Wednesday! Cha-Ching!!!

If Ironman Texas does not work, whether it is cost thing or my coaching schedule, I have a few backups for my Ironman distance race (as 140.6 is happeneing). I am looking at Challenge AC in June and I have also given thought to Ironman Maryland with the idea of qualifying for Hawaii 2016. While focusing more on the longer races, I am going to mix a few sprint distance races into the schedule in July/August. Sometimes one needs to get out of their comfort zone and hurt!

Potential Races For 2015 (7-8 Total Races)
Ironman Texas - May 16th
Black Bear Triathlon (PA) - May 31st
Challenge Atlantic City (NJ) - June 28th
Lake Lenape Sprint Triathlon (NJ) - July 11th
Denville Sprint Triathlon (NJ) - July 26th
Challenge Pocono 70.3 (PA) - August 16th
Keystone Sprint Triathlon (PA) - August 30th
Ironman Princeton 70.3 (NJ) - September 20th
Quakerman Olympic + (PA) - September 26th
Ironman Maryland - October 3rd

My base training continues with the longer races in mind. This past week was my highest volume weeks in biking and running but it involved no swimming as the pool is closed till tomorrow. Even though it is my least favorite of the three disciplines, I am looking forward to getting back into the pool. All disciplines combined, volume of training will fall between 11.25-11.5 hours this upcoming week.

Nine Weeks Of Base Training @ MAF:
Bike - 37 rides/ 1221 miles/ 57.15 hours/ 21.4 mph
Run - 30 runs/ 222.5 miles/ 30.38 hours/ 8:12 per mile
Swim - 15 swims/ 14 miles/ 6.39 hours
Total - 82 workouts/ 1457.5 miles/ 93.92 hours
(9 Suspension Training sessions)
Per Week - 9.11 workouts/ 161.94 miles/ 10.44 hours

Next week I will begin to focus on goal #1, attempting to make this blog entertaining or at least informative. I have seen several things this weekend that have given me inspiration for posts. I am also in the process of some cosmetic changes to the blog site that have been long overdo.Maybe the combination of entertaining/informative material and a new look might actually get people to read it...Ha ha!


Pumped For 2015 Race Season


No comments:

Post a Comment