Sunday, October 19, 2014

Offseason Makes For Boring Blog Posts



You know my brain is in off-season mode when I decide to hop on the indoor trainer when the temperature was above 40. To put it simply, I just did not want to deal with the 15-20 mph steady winds which made it feel more like 38. The ironic part about my decision was when about 20-25 minutes into my ride I realized why I hate riding indoors! Thankfully, I had a soccer game to watch and pass the time, 1 hour & 26 minutes of pure joy! OK, a little sarcasm in that last comment.....

Over the past three years, in my return to triathlons, I think the longest I have survived on the indoor trainer is 2 hours & 30 minutes. Just knowing that, makes me wonder, not that I will be training for a full Ironman.....How will I survive the mind/ass numbing boredom of riding stationary for 3+ hours? I know I will need rides longer than this in my Ironman training but I am hoping by that time I will be able to get outside! (Please, let me be outside!)

I will say that an advantage to riding on the indoor trainer will be controlling my heart rate as I use MAF in my training this winter. I have had numerous people ask...what is this MAF you speak of? Well, I am glad you ask. MAF stands for Maximum Aerobic Functioning and was developed by Phil Maffetone who coached Mark Allen when he was winning his Ironman titles (just 6 of them!) Using his formula 180 minus my age (45) gives me an initial MAF of 135. Using some adjustment ranges based on being healthy, training consistently for 2 years and progressing in results, I would add 5 more to the initial number giving me a MAF of 140. According to his premise, all my training during base building or as Mark Allen called it "Patience Phase" would be completed between 130-140. 

I still have till November 3 till my training picks back up in earnest or about 2 more weeks. In all this will give me 8 total weeks (6 completed) of transition from 2014 race season to 2015 Ironman training. Between getting used MAF and a reduction of of volume in training by 20-25%, my body and mind feeling fresh and ready for Ironman training! Now, this week, I will be getting back into the pool more. I have been a bit lazy with that.

6 Weeks of MAF Training & Recovery
Bike - 25 rides/ 763 miles/ 38.19 hours/ 19.98 mph
Run - 23 runs/ 140. 25 miles/ 19.08 hours/ 8:09 per mile
Swim - 8 swims/ 6.75 miles/ 3.17 hours
Total - 56 workouts/ 910 miles/ 60.44 hours
Per Week - 9.33 workouts/ 151.67 miles/ 10.07 hours
During the summer
Per Week - 10.6 workouts/ 188 miles/ 12.04 hours

As I move forward, I want to thank Wattie Ink & my teammates who have me motivated with their performances and encouragement throughout this past racing season! I am especially motivated by teammates who raced yesterday in Kona and those who have qualified for 2015, already! 
 
Also, thanks to a great list of sponsors Wattie Ink was able to secure for the team - Power Bar, Speedfil, ISM Saddles, Herbalife, Blue Seventy, Rudy Project, ! Your support went a long way in helping me achieve my results in 2014! 2015 will be bigger and better!
ROCK THE W 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment