Sunday, September 28, 2014

Odds Got A Little Better But Not Taking The Bet Yet


"When I stand, my back to the sea
 A big white cloud, looking right down on me
 Sound of sun, missing my eyes
 Everything's clear, everything's bright"

Big White Cloud - John Cale 

1000:1 as I mentioned last week turned into 500:1 in terms of possibly getting one more race in 2014. This past week I found this race in Cape Henlopen, DE on October 12th. It is a sprint triathlon with a .25 mile swim/ 11 mile bike/ 3.1 mile run. Yeah, there is potential for cold water but it is a short swim. How bad could it really be? (Dare I ask?) The question will probably end up being is it worth the money (entry fee, travel and hotel) for one last sprint triathlon. Here is a link to the race:


In the meantime, I am continuing my transition from the heavy volume of training and racing of this summer to Ironman training for 2015, potentially starting November 3rd. I have reduced my volume of training by 20% over the past three weeks lowered all my intensity of training to my MAF (Maximum Aerobic Functioning). As I mentioned a few post ago, I am going to train for my Ironman using MAF, a method I have used successfully in the past. The most essential premise of this system is training exclusively at my MAF during base building (3-4 months). MAF is determined by subtracting my age (45) from 180 and then using scale developmed by Phil Maffetone, one either adds, subtracts or makes no adjustments to that number. Based on his adjustments, I would add 5 to this number since I have been training injury free and with results for 2 years giving me a MAF of 140. 

Over the past three weeks, I have been trying to get used to training at this heart rate as it means slowing down A LOT! Sometimes going slower hurts more....Ha ha!!  I think the hardest part of getting used to this pace is making adjustments to pacing on hills.....And we have plenty of them around here. In addition to the reduction in volume of training, training at this heart rate has definitely aided in letting my body recover and refresh from an intense summer of training and racing. Here are my most recent training totals:

Last 16 Weeks
Bike - 70 rides/ 2487 miles/ 121.16 hours/ 20.5 mph
Run - 55 runs/ 378.5 miles/ 47.93 hours/ 7:36 per mile
Swim - 43 swims/ 37.5 miles/ 18.71 hours
Totals - 168 workouts/ 2903 miles/ 187.8 hours
Per Week - 10.5 workouts/ 181.43 miles/ 11.73 hours

3 Weeks Of Getting Used To MAF
Bike - 13 rides/ 391 miles/ 19.76 hours/ 19.8 mph
Run - 11 runs/ 68 miles/ 9.13 hours/ 8:03 per mile
Swim - 6 swims/ 5 miles/ 2.45 hours
Total - 30 workouts/ 464 miles/ 31.34 hours

In addition to transition back to MAF, I have also making a more concerted effort to eat better. But before anyone freaks out, I am will not go to any extremes and the staples of coffee, beer and ice cream will still be there. I have also added suspension (most know as TRX) training into my schedule. In the first 4 weeks of suspension training, I have noticed a world of difference. 

Ironman Races I Am Considering
May 16 - Ironman Texas- most ideal as it gives me 4 months to get ready for Kona (Just need to make sure it will fit into my track & field coaching schedule)
August 2 - Ironman Boulder- 2nd favorite choice

As I move forward and possibly realize my 2014 season may be over (maybe), I have to thank Wattie Ink and my teammates who have me motivated with their performances and encouragement throughout this racing season! Also, thanks to a great list of sponsors Wattie Ink was able to secure for the team - Power Bar, Speedfil, ISM Saddles, Herbalife, Blue Seventy, Rudy Project, ! Your support has gone a long way in helping me achieve my results! 
 
Rock The W! 


No comments:

Post a Comment