Sunday, September 21, 2014

And So It Begins!




"Out here in the fields
  I fight for my meals
  I get my back into my living"
Baba O'Reilly - The Who 

Well, I have basically accepted (but not totally) that my 2014 race season is over. Living in Central PA and in the middle of my team's XC season, finding a race is pretty much a 1000:1 long shot. But never know.....right???? (Not Holding my breathe)

In the meantime, the planning for 2015 has begun and some changes have already been implemented in my training. Over the past 3-4 four weeks, I have added"suspension training" into my regimen. I found it amazing how quickly I started feeling the benefits, especially in the pool. In my last couple of pool sessions, I have felt incredibly stronger and faster (by my standards) at an easier effort!!! 

Not that I am going to go crazy with this, as we need some vices to keep us sane, but I am going to try and eat better and maybe slightly healthier. Now before you panic, I will continue to have my ice cream but maybe just some smaller portions. I will also continue to have my beers! To quote Benjamin Franklin..."Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" (Not that I am a religious person or need an excuse to have a beer!) 

As I started a couple weeks ago, I am still getting used to training with the heart rate monitor and using MAF. It can be tough getting used to this method but one of the benefits I notice initially was that my body has felt recovered as I get ready to transition into Ironman training. The combination of a reduction in volume and using MAF over the past 2 weeks has me refreshed and excited for Ironman training. I will continue this pattern for 3-4 more weeks.

15 Week Total
Bike - 66 rides/ 2362 miles/ 114.76 hours/ 20.6mph
Run - 51 runs/ 355.5 miles/ 44.80 hours/ 7:34 per mile
Swim - 41 swims/ 35.75 miles/ 17.91 hours
Total - 158 workouts/ 2753.25 miles/ 177.47 hours
Per Week - 10.53 workouts/ 183.55 miles/ 11.83 hours

Past 2 Weeks Of Reduced Volume (All at MAF - 140BPM)
Bike - 9 rides/ 266 miles/ 13.36 hours/ 19.91mph 
Run - 7 runs/ 45 miles/ 6.0 hours/ 8:00 per mile
Swim - 4 swims/ 3.25 miles/ 1.65 hours
Total - 20 workouts/ 314.25 miles/ 21.01 hours
Per week - 10 Workouts/ 15713 miles/ 10.50 hours

As I move forward, the most important thing will be to pick that Ironman race to qualify for Kona. Based on my coaching schedule, I have narrowed it down to 2 races. It is just a matter of pulling the trigger and choosing the race.Decisions, decisions, decisions........

Possible  Ironman Races
May 16 - Ironman Texas- most ideal as it gives me 4 months to get ready for Kona
August 2 - Ironman Boulder- 2nd favorite choice
As I move forward and possibly realize my 2014 season may be over , I have to thank Wattie Ink and my teammates who have me motivated with their performances and encouragement! Also, thanks to a great list of sponsors Wattie Ink was able to secure for the team - Power Bar, Speedfil, ISM Saddles, Herbalife, Blue Seventy, Rudy Project, ! Your support has gone a long way in helping me achieve my results!

ROCK THE W!!!!


The finish of my 4th place overall finish at the Denville Sprint Triathlon

No comments:

Post a Comment