Saturday, November 30, 2013

Will Always Error On Side Of Common Sense

 

It is not officially winter yet but the official indoor riding season has started, at least in my mind. It has been over two weeks since I have ridden outside but in all honesty, I rather deal with a numb ass that a frozen ass. And as long as I am not being paid to be out there, there is no need to freeze on the bike. Give me a nice day during the next few months (35+ degrees) and I will get outside on the bike!

Now, before you ask or wonder, yes I do run outside but trust me, there is a considerable difference between running in cold, windy weather and riding the bike in the same conditions. The biggest and probably the main reason it keeps me inside is the additional wind chill you create for yourself on the bike. This additional wind chill you literally chill you to the bone.


Now this may also sound funny, but I will do everything to run outside as I find running for even just 30 minutes more tedious than being on the indoor trainer for 90 minutes or more. As a matter of fact, I have a 2 hour 15 minute ride scheduled and I am not depressed by the fact it will be inside but if you tell me I had to run on a dreadmill that long, I would want to kill myself!!! 

Rule # - There Is A Fine Line Between Badass & Dumbass
Maybe more of this rule is to justify my indoor training riding but sometimes a person's overall health should outweigh being macho and trying to prove that one is a  better athlete. Now don't get me wrong, rain or wind doesn't always keep me inside, but when my health is at risk or common sense says stay in.... common sense will always win out. There is also a point where weather conditions will adversely affect training rendering it basically useless. Plus, until some sponsor starts paying my bills and my career relies on me getting outside... my ass is staying risk free!! Now, this is not to say those who go outside when I stay in are crazy but I would like to believe at a certain point even they would know it is better to stay inside.Plus whether I am badass or not, my indoor training will still have me kicking your badass in the summer!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 4  rides/ 150 miles/ 6.90 hours/ 21.7 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 23.75 miles/ 2.94 hours/ 7:26 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.5 miles/ 1.38 hours
Total - 10 workouts/ 176.25 miles/ 11.22 hours

2013
Bike - 237 rides/ 7668 miles/ 357.32 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 165 run/ 1068.5 miles/ 131.32 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 138 swims/ 129.5 miles/ 63.69 hours
Total - 540 workouts/ 8866 miles/ 552.33 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4-5 rides/ 150-160 miles
Run -34 runs/ 22-26 miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 2-3 miles
Total - 11-12 hours



People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I on?

I am on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 

Kona 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment