Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cookies, Ice Cream, Steak & Beer Are Good All Year



Oh, how quickly winter weather can settle in here in Central PA!?!?!? I know many people in this area are thrilled for the cold and snow but I am not one of them. Now I promise, I will attempt to not bitch as much this year in my blog about living in Central PA and the harsh winters and contemplate why I still live here. Last year, I did a fair amount of complaining for all but I guess that promise is based on if the weather gets any worse..... I hope not!!!!!

Now, I will admit that with daylight savings and my coaching schedule I have basically resorted to doing the majority of my riding indoors. Yeah it can be boring but I am not a big fan of starting a ride in the ride whether I have a headlight or not. I will also admit that during base training and doing all of my work in the aerobic zone, I am not the biggest fan of extreme wind chills. In my defense, I am outside for my running as I will do everything to avoid the "dreadmill'!

Now indoor riding gives you time to think a lot since your not as focused on idiot drivers or debris that could ruin a tire. While riding indoors I can read Twitter once to pass time and like it often does it gives me inspiration for one of my rules. With so many people either starting base training or transitioning to their 2014 training it is funny to read about all the beer drinking and eating of so called bad foods that one might not eat during the "season". I find it funny at times. So without any further delay....

Rule # ? - Race Season Or Not - No Need To Eat Like A Rabbit (Unless your health is at risk)
I do know some people do have legitimate nutrition restrictions, whether it is because of diabetes or gluten intolerant, but if you don't have these restrictions.....why do you put them on yourself?  For as much as most of us workout, what is so bad about enjoying a steak? a cookie? some ice cream? a soda? a beer? Or why are they only bad during "race season'? If this is all so bad for you, why do you allow yourself to indulge in this stuff in the so called off-season? Take my word for it.......this stuff is good for you all year round.......especially ice cream and beer!

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 155 miles/ 7.28 hours/ 21.3 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 19 miles/ 2.33 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.75 miles/ 1.33 hours
Total - 11 workouts/ 176.75 miles/ 10.94 hours

2013
Bike - 233 rides/ 7518 miles/ 350.42 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 162 runs/ 1044.75 miles/ 128.38 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 135 swims/ 127 miles/ 61.30 hours
Total - 530 workouts/ 8689.75 miles/ 540.1 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 4 rides/ 150 miles
Run - 4 runs/ 23-25 miles
Swim - 2-3 swims/ 2-2.5 miles
10.75-11.0 hours total

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?

What am I will I be on?

I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 

Kona 2014!

 My pre-race meal!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment