Saturday, January 7, 2012

This Is An Invitation To Leave Yourselves Behind!



"Do everything you fear,
In this there's power,
Fear is not be afraid of"
James - Sound


As I begin this transition to triathlons (yet still bike race), this song says it all for me at this time. While I may have competed at a very high-level in triathlons in the past, finally making the decision to return to my roots despite years of apprehensions. After that DNF in Kona in 1997, I guess fear of failing was too much to deal with and made the decision to just run easier. I always knew I would have to return.

Well, the first seven days of triathlon training 2012 are in the books. It was a very solid week of training as I accomplished what I set out for this week. The mild winter also continues as I was able to get two more days on the bike outdoors. Getting back in the pool was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Yes, I did feel a complete lack of endurance but my technique felt pretty smooth given the 10+ years between workouts. Now I will be spending a good amount of time concentrating on technique as I build my endurance the next 2-3 weeks. I also completed my first tempo workout since returning to running. I completed a road tempo doing 6 x 1/2 mile at threshold with 1:30 jog recovery. Today I polished off the week with a chilly (40 degrees) but relaxed 45 mile spin on the bike with some very easy climbing (933 feet).

Training totals 2012:
Bike - 5 rides/ 176 miles/ 8.3 hours/ 21.2mph
Run - 3 runs/ 20.25 miles/ 2.46 hours/ 7:17 per mile
Swim - 2 swims/ 1.25 miles/ .83 hours
Totals - 10 workouts/ 196.5 miles/ 11.59 hours

This weeks goals:
Bike - 5-6 Rides - 170-200 miles
Run - 3-4 runs - 20-25 miles (1 workout and 1 long run of 10-11 miles)
Swim - 3 swims - 2-2.5 miles

I have also started looking at a potential race schedule also. I think March, April and May will mostly be cycling races especially on weekends when I don't have a track & field meet. Triathlons will start in June and run through September. I am also looking at two potential 70.3 races (only doing one). I am thinking about Ironman 70.3 Syracuse or Rhode Island. It looks like it will be a busy summer!

TdO '12 still on the schedule also!

No comments:

Post a Comment