Saturday, January 14, 2012

Racing Seems So Far Off!



"The time to rise has been engaged
You're better best to rearrange
I'm talking here to me alone
I listen to the finest worksong"
Finest Worksong R.E.M.

The racing season seems a long way off but watch the US Olympic Marathon Trials today definitely can help one to get motivated to get out there and train everyday. It was great to see each race be competitive for the top 3 spots for so long into the race. Of course watching Meb win the race at age 36 gives us old guys some hope and I am sure a lot of people will be out looking for their first pair of Sketcher's running shoes. And for more motivation, the Tour Down Under gets underway tomorrow. I will be interested to see how well the new NBC Sports Network covers the event and other cycling events throughout the year.

This past week was a solid week of training. I purchased a new magnetic trainer for the bike and in the two rides on it can feel a huge difference. It definitely has a feel very close to being on the roads and can tell the quality of riding will be a higher level this year throughout the winter. I did tackle my first track workout in at least a year. I did a simple tempo workout of 7 x 800 @ 3:09 average with 1:00 recovery. It was not as bad as I though it was going to be so it gives me some confidence about getting my running legs back under me. I also felt as though my swimming stroke felt a lot smoother and longer this week as I paid a lot attention to technique in my 3 swims this week.

New Training Totals
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 177 miles/ 8.32 hours/ 21.3mph
Run - 3 runs/ 22 miles/ 2.64 hours/ 7:12 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 2.5 miles/ 1.15 hours

Year
Bike - 10 rides/ 353 miles/ 16.62 hours/ 21.2mph
Runs - 6 runs/ 42.25 miles/ 5.11 hours/ 7:15 per mile
Swims - 5 swims/ 3.75 miles/ 1.98 hours
Total - 21 workouts/ 23.71 hours

This Week's Goals
Bike - 5 rides/ 175-190 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 22-25miles
Swim - 3 swims/ 1.5-2 miles

This week will be challenge for scheduling as school will be back in session and I will need to coordinate my schedule around coaching and practice time. It may take a week or so to figure this out. I am also starting to narrow down some possible races but I am waiting on race directors to officially announce the dates of the events. Hopefully I will be able to announce a few races in the next couple of weeks including some early season bike races.

TdO '12!

No comments:

Post a Comment