Sunday, August 21, 2011

Camp Off - Now Preseason On!!!!



Once again, another great week at Running Works! The weather was tough at times with the first run cut slightly short and an afternoon lost to massive thunderstorm that seemed to last for 4-5 hours! It did cost me an afternoon on the bike but maybe it was for the good. It was my first day off the bike since May 24th. It is always a great time at camp. It is always good to catch up with all my co-counselors at camp, many of them who have been there all 9 years I have worked. I look forward to this week every summer. It is always a great lead-in for the return of my cross-country teams at Susquehanna University. Preseason opens up tomorrow afternoon with an easy run to get everyone together and then the all important 2 mile time trial on Tuesday morning. The preseason polls are in and the men are picked number one and the women number 2. We have a lot of returners so it should be a fun year!

The week of training was interesting. For the first time in months it involves running. While it was not fast running, it was the first bit of running since April (I think??). In all it was 6 total sessions of running equaling 4 hours 30 minutes. Not sure of the mileage as a good amount of the running was on trails.

The week of biking was very low key as I had to fit rides around the camp schedule. It only left me about an hour and 15-20 minutes each day. I did get 4 good rides in the Poconos while at camp. I did lose Friday afternoon due to the thunderstorm. It was one of the longest lasting thunderstorms I have witnessed. We were stuck in our cabins for almost 5 hours. I think the low mileage for the week was also good for recovery as I had been averaging 300 miles a week for the past 4 weeks. I still got 6 solid rides and felt great the past two days after the day off the bike.

Training totals
Week - 6 rides/ 200 miles/ 10hours 9minutes/ 19.50mph/ 5186 feet of climbing
August - 21 rides/ 822 miles/ 39hours 51minutes/20.60mph/ 19,808 feet of climbing
Year - 236 rides/ 8407miles/ 394hours 45minutes/ 21.40mph
Average per ride - 35.6 miles/ 21.40mph

This week will be a test of scheduling as preseason starts. I should be able to take mileage higher than last week. My goals this week are 250-75 miles/ 12-14 hours and 7000 feet of climbing. I am starting to focus this next bit of training towards the Milton Harvest Fest on September 10th.

http://www.miltonharvestfestival.com/races/bikerace.php

TdO '11 - OK about now will be TdO '12!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment