Monday, May 30, 2011

1 Week After Crash - Ready To Race Again!



It is hard to believe that it has been a week already since I was hit by the car and forced out of my race. Even though it has been a week, I am still pissed about not being able to finish the race. I know it was out of my control but not finishing is not something I handle easily regardless the reason. I also realize how lucky I am that I have been able to get back on the bike and ride every day this week. I have been able to get on the bike and do some really good spinning this week. The road rash is slowly healing and the bruises are turning green but the lower back is still stiff. It prevents me from being able to jump out of the saddle for and extended period. I also know I am truly lucky to even be alive given the speed I hit the car (close to 30mph) and how far I flew and skidded from the car (60 feet). But trust me, I am going to spare you from the life changing epiphany story as I am not sure I had one. I am just going to get back on my bike and do what I do best!!!

Training this week was solid but nothing spectacular. To be on the safe side, I spent the first 4 days on my indoor trainer. I wanted to make sure my back could handle riding. Each day I felt better on the bike but the back never fully loosened up. I really need it to loosen up so I can race this weekend. If things workout, this Saturday will be my first USA Cycling certified race. Since I need to compete in Cat 5, my race will be a short 37KM or 4 loops of a 5.7 mile circuit. Coming off the performance at the Mon Tour, I feel very confident to be able to hammer this course it what should be under an hour of racing. I have several other races in mind after this one.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11716

New training totals:
Week - 7 rides/ 199 miles/ 9hours 21minutes/ 21.40mph
Month - 31 rides/ 1009 miles/ 47hours 55minutes/ 21.30mph
Year - 151 rides/ 5006 miles/ 230hours 01minute/21.90mph

Yesterday, one of my athletes, Nate Wineland began his trek across country with 4K for Cancer. He and his group will be biking from Baltimore to Portland. I will keep you informed of his progress. Prior to his departure, he was able to raise $5000 for the cause. The 4K for Cancer is a national non-profit organization dedicated to uniting communities across the country in the fight against cancer by spreading awareness, raising funds, and fostering hope. He will also blog from the road and I will post the link as soon as I have it. Here is a link to the group 4K for Cancer:

http://4kforcancer.org/follow-us/2011-baltimore-to-portland/

Till the next time......

TdO 2011!!! It will be Epic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment