Monday, May 16, 2011

5 Days To Go - Taper Is On!!



It seems like it was so long ago when I first started talking about the race this weekend. With 5 days to go till the race, I feel very confident in my ability to do extremely well in this hilly race! I am not sure what the competition will be like, so I will continue to look at this race in terms of my goals of a certain finishing time versus place. Given the strangeness of the weather this spring, I think I will wait till Thursday to actually see what the forecast might be.

Last week's training leaves me very confident for this race. I had my biggest and best week of training to date. I did manage 2 days of doubles as well as a great group ride. On Tuesday evening of last week, my friend Eric, took me over to Mifflinburg to ride the Big Ring Velo group ride. It is a collection of cyclist from this area including many members of the Bucknell University Cycling Team. It was my first group ride since my triathlon days. It was also the most fun I have had on a bike it quite some time. It was an hour and half of attacks, sprints, hills and surges. In the end, it was me and three other riders in the lead pack. I finished the ride with several Cat 3 riders from the Bucknell Team. I even made a bunch of the attacks and never felt like I could not answer any of the attacks. The course was fun as it included some nice flats but also a good amount of rollers and several good climbs. I do know I still need to gain some comfort in riding with a group again. I believe a few of the guys from the ride will be participating in the Mont Tour this Saturday. I have also included a tremendous amount of hills in my training. Wednesday, I completed a ride that totaled over 2500 feet of climbing in a 38 mile ride.

http://web.me.com/earthscapes66/75_miles_/Home.html

Newest training totals:
Week - 9 rides/ 300 miles/ 14hours 31minutes/ 21.00mph
Month - 18 rides/ 583 miles/ 27hours 42minutes/ 21.30mph
Year - 138 rides/ 4580 miles/ 209 miles 48minutes/ 21.90mph

After this race on Saturday, my focus will turn to USA Cycling races so I can start to maneuver my way up the rankings. I don't want to stay a Cat 5 rider too long!!! With the track & field season almost over, I can commit even more time to training and get some longer rides. I am looking forward to those 3-4 hour rides through the hills of Central PA. Training out here will make any ride in South Jersey feel so easy!!! I am pretty sure no hills around here that even come close to here.

TdO '11!!!

Let the Epic Cycle begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment