Sunday, April 17, 2011

What A Difference A Year Makes!!



It finally hit me when I got to our track & field meet today at Moravian College. This time last year, I was 2-3 days out from my surgery to remove my squamous cell cancer in my lip. I know everyone one says they can't tell the difference, but at that time over half my bottom lip was removed to get all the cancer. Well, here it is 1 year later and I am still clear! I still have some check-ups every 3 months but I have passed the 1 year mark, which my doctor says is the key! Not that I am no longer in danger but for now I can breath a small sigh of relief! I could go on for a while about some of the changes in my perspective on life or my coaching ways but I rather take this moment to thank all those that were so supportive during that time!

Today was the finish of a crazy three days of track and field between two meets and two different locations. Once again, it was not the best weekend for weather for track & field. This has to be one of the toughest seasons for weather in all my years at Susquehanna University. Despite the weather, the team is doing very well and excited for our championships in two weeks.

The weather during the week was pretty good and I was able to get outside for more cycling around my crazy coaching schedule. Preparations for the race on May 21st are going extremely well. The rides I have done around here are hilly and that should have me we prepared for this course. I still need to add some more hills into the training but the past two rides I have felt incredibly strong bouncing up the hills at a high cadence. I know I have said it in previous post, but I really need to stop being lazy about the weight training and get back on it!!! (Hopefully this week!)

This past week, on the bike, was another strong week. With the crazy schedule this weekend, I was not at the same time and mileage as last week but still a big week none the less. I am enjoying the weather change (slowly) and getting outside as , while productive, the indoor trainer is getting BORING!!!! I am amazed how much I have been able to mentally handle this winter. New training totals:

Week - 7 rides/ 238 miles/ 11hours 04 minutes/ 21.60mph
Month - 17 rides/ 588 miles/ 27hours 27 minutes/ 21.70mph
Year - 107 rides/ 3568 miles/ 161hours 50minutes/ 22.10mph

The weather break is also good for helping my athlete train for his cross-country trek from Baltimore to Portland with 4K for Cancer! What an admirable thing for anyone to do.

https://4kforcancer.donortools.com/my/funds/15114-Rider-Fund-Nate-Wineland

It is a win-win situation as I get good time in the saddle and I help Nate prepare for his selfless act of generosity. Please check his link out above and help Nate in any way you can.

TdO 2011 - The Epic Event Looms!!

No comments:

Post a Comment