Sunday, March 20, 2011

Base Almost Complete!! 11 Weeks Down 1 To Go! CAT 5!!!



I never thought this stretch of training would end. As necessary as it is to build that base, it can be some of the most boring training in the world. I know there are many more longer rides ahead of me but at least I can look forward to doing these rides outdoors especially as spring begins. I was able to get outside both days this weekend and it felt so good. It may have been chilly but it was definitely bearable. It also felt good to get back on the hills. If you are familiar with this area of Central PA, there is nothing but a ton of hills once you leave the river valley.

I am looking forward to the change in training focus after this last week of base training. This week is a recovery week with less volume before heading into race specific training. In anticipation, I even purchased by racing license from USA Cycling. I am looking forward to a spring and summer of races, but of course starting off as that CAT 5 rider!!!!! Now I need to find time to seriously start putting this race schedule together. It will be tough through April as my teams will be competing every weekend until April 30-May 1.

This week's training was very solid on the bike. I am very happy with the hours and miles that I have been able to put on the bike in the past 11 weeks. Getting outside the past two days has motivated me going into the Building Phase of my training. Surprisingly, I was happy with the ease at which the hills felt the past two days and the ability I had to maintain a high cadence up the hills. One thing about my cycling (even back to my triathlon career), I have always rode with a high cadence. New totals for training after this week:

Week - 7 rides/ 243 miles/ 11 hours 14 minutes/ 21.70mph
March - 20 rides/ 683 miles/ 31 hours 7 minutes/ 22.00mph
Year - 79 rides/ 2647 miles/ 119 hours 31 minutes/ 22.20 mph

The weather is not looking great for this week but there seems to be a 2-3 days that I should be able to venture outside again. The goal for this week is just 8.5-9.0 hours on the bike. With hosting a 17 school meet this week, having a week where training is reduced is a good thing. Then the training really gets serious and the tainted beef eating begins in preparation for the TdO '11......(HA HA!) What also helps in motivation is that the cycling race season is getting underway with many of the classics coming up......Paris-Roubaix!!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/paris-roubaix-his

No comments:

Post a Comment