Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It has been a long time- I'm back

Wow, I just realized how long it has been since I have posted on here. A lot has happened since the last post. Training has continued with some success and I am getting ready for a fum summer season of 5K's. The new picture is from a 5K I was able to run at the Jim Taylor Invitational. It is a meet that we host. I ran 17:30m which is my fast time in 2 years. But since that race, life got crazy with hosting meets and dealing with some health issues. Shortly after that meet, I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in my lip. On April 13th, I had close to half of my bottom lip removed to get the cancer and then reconstructed to give me some resemblance of a lip. I was able to maintain some good training but had to cut back on some of the mileage as my eating habits were affected and my sleep habits. I will say regardless of type of cancer, it does get in your head and causes issues. I am lucky enough to have great friends and a great team here that have kept me sane. Now most people would think that the word sane in a description of me is an oxy-moron but if not for the support here not sure how I would have survived mentally.

Well now that the season is over and I am not on the road as much I am determined to get my racing career off the ground again. I have set a goal of running 16:30 or faster in the 5K by next spring. It may not sound like a major time but it is a start for me. Training has been great as I prepare for my first 5K since the surgery. In case you are wondering, I was cancer free in my first check-up 2 weeks ago. This saturday I will be running in the Sunbury YMCA 5K. It is a race which I won last year with a pretty bad time of 17:44. It is a very low key local race. My main goal is to beat last year's time but I definitely feel I am in 17:05-15 shape. I just have to stay mentally strong. I am working my way towards some bigger 5K's later in the summer. Today's tune up workout gave me an idea that I am ready for a good race.

Today's workout
5 x 400 @ 5K pace/200 Jog + 1 x 1000 @ 5K pace/400 Jog + 5 x 400 @ 5K pace/200 Jog
79.5-82.9-82.1-81.1-80-3:18.75-79.1-80.1-80.3-79-78.9
5000 meters in 16:41 - 5:23 per mile

I also have one other main goal for the summer and that is to learn how to play the guitar. I have my first lesson on thursday at 3:30PM.

1 comment: