Friday, June 11, 2010

Almost 24 hours to go....

It is almost here and I am even somewhat nervous about a low key local 5K. But before I get too much into that, my guitar lesson went very well yesterday. I actually learned some scales and some chords and have plenty to practice till my next lesson. I also need to start coming up with a list of songs I would like to learn and put a CD together. Who knows, maybe I can be playing some songs sooner than I expect. How cool would that be? I am definitely looking forward to be able to play some Dave Matthews, OAR, Oasis, Coldplay and so much more.

The World Cup begins today and should be a fun month of watching soccer. And right after that, we have the start of the Tour de France. This could be a great tour to watch as Lance will be riding as leader of his new team. I am not sure if he has enough to beat Contador but it should be epic (as Versus TV) likes to put it.

Now for tomorrow and my nerves. I am not sure why I should be so nervous but I am. This is where my advice that always seems to work for my athletes would work for me but not working yet. I guess it is easier said than done. In light of recent sleep patterns, I am also nervous about not waking up in time but that is another post. But I will lay this out here now, some simple goals:

Last year I ran 17:44 and won the race. I am not concerned about winning as you never know who will be there. My goal is to run at minimum 20 seconds faster than last year. Last year was a really bad race with a side stitch that felt like I was being stabbed for the last mile. I want to run consistent splits throughout the race so I do not crash in the last mile. I definitely feel in much better shape than when I ran 17:30 on March 27th. I feel confident after my track workout the other day. It truly is my first race in what I call a comeback so I guess some reason to be nervous but I have never been more focused in recent years. I am feeling like sub 17:00 could be done by the end of summer and be a great start toward my ultimate goal of sub 16:30 and racing what I consider good times (maybe a reason why I am so hard on myself ). Just trying to be positive going into this last 24 hours......Serenity now, serenity now; oh wait Blue Moon now, Blue Moon now!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Marty!

    I've got a small 5k on Sunday that should be a good workout. It's a benefit for a local 13-year-old girl that ran a 5:45 mile last year and then was diagnosed with a form of bone cancer...luckily, she's finishing up chemo and they expect she'll be back running in a couple years.

    Enjoy the race!

    ~Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. simply put marto, "YOU'RE THINKING TOO MUCH! STOP IT!". Hope the 5-k went well. Let me know =)

    ReplyDelete