Saturday, September 28, 2013

1ST OF MANY RULES FOR TRIATHLETES




As I have been promising for a few months, this post will start my countdown of my unofficial rules for triathletes. These rules are a collection of my observations over the last 20+ years of competing as an endurance athlete. While these are geared at triathletes, I believe they can also be applied to cyclist and runners or any endurance athlete.

Since, I am officially done my race season for 2013 and I am in my boring phase of training, I figured I would make an attempt to entertain you to keep you reading my blog. You may find that these rules are silly and others make take offense but it is my blog....so who cares! 

There is no particular order to these rules at this point as I am not sure how many I will have but eventually it will culminate with the ultimate rule for triathletes. So for now I will just post rules and in the end rank them order of importance and publish the full list.

So without further delay.....here is one of my rules for triathletes and a good one to start with ......

Rule # ? 
A Beer Will Not Ruin Your Training

Have we forgotten about the days when Bud Light and Coors Light sponsored a race series? Back in those days beer and triathlons went hand-in-hand. Where did things go wrong?

Too often now,  I read on Facebook, Twitter or Blog Post, statements like, it is race season so no more alcohol......Are you kidding me?!?!?! 

I can recall back, in 1993, receiving  a beer bucket with 3 beers as my prize for an age group win. I thought it was the greatest prize ever.....of course until I won money at a few races. 

Now I am not saying go out and get drunk, but there is no research out there that shows that one should give up a drink to perform better. Hell, some recent studies have shown it may be just as effective as water in hydrating after a race! And you have to admit, it does taste and feel good going down after a hard effort in a race or workout. Also, don't mess around with crappy beers and drink real beers. If it is not brewed with malted barley or you need to put a lime or orange slice in it, then you are drinking the wrong beer!

I hope you have enjoyed my first rule and feel free to send suggestions. 

Now for the reason of the blog.....training totals

Week 
Bike - 4 rides/ 135 miles/ 6.55 hours/ 20.6 mph
Run - 3 runs/ 27.75 miles/ 3.43 hours/ 7:24 per mile
Swim - 2 swims/ 1.5 miles/ .71 hours
Total - 9 workouts/ 164.25 miles/ 10.69 hours

2013
Bike - 194 rides/ 6304 miles/ 292.91 hours/ 21.5 mph
Run - 135 runs/ 881 miles/ 108.16 hours/ 7:22 per mile
Swim - 114 swims/ 107.75 miles/ 53.12 hours
Total - 443 workouts/ 7292.75 miles/ 454.19 hours

Goals This Week (last week of transition)
Bike - 4 rides/ 135-55 miles
Run - 3 runs/ 24-28 miles
Swim - 2-3 swims/ 1.5 2 miles

People will often ask what am I on to complete my training?
What am I will I be on?


I will be on my bike 7-10 hours a week, in the pool 1.5-3 hours a week and on the roads running 2-3 hours a week in 2014......and of course caffeine,moose tracks and beer for recovery! 

Kona 2014!





No comments:

Post a Comment