Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Easy Stuff Begins

  

"I was raised out of steel here in the swamps of Jersey, some misty years ago
Through the mud and the beer, and the blood and the cheers, I've seen champions come and go
So if you got the guts mister, yeah, if you got the balls
If you think it's your time, then step to the line, and bring on your wrecking ball"
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

Of course it had to be a Bruce Springsteen song this week after seeing him in concert Thursday night. And to call it just a concert does not do it justice. As with the other two times that I saw Bruce, the only way to explain it to people is to call it an "experience". You leave his shows feeling uplifted like you were just at a church revival. As I watched him perform for 3.5 hours at age 63, I can only wish I have half as much energy as that man when I am 63! I have a hard time believing that there is a performer/band that gives more to their audience than Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band!

This week also marked the start of officially building a base. It is now time to start putting easy miles in and start building some volume. Even though my early focus is on the 70.3 but after qualifying for Kona at that race and I going to need a extremely strong base so I can jump into Ironman training. My biking is fine at this point but I am going to concentrate on building more volume on the run and swim in particular. No way I will be able to competitive on the level I need to be in June if I am only putting in 23-27 miles a week.

New Training Totals:
Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 155 miles/ 6.83 hours/ 22. 7mph
Run - 4 runs/ 25.5 miles/ 3.13 hours/ 7:21 per mile
Swim - 3 swims/ 3.25 miles/ 1.56 hours
Total - 12 workouts/ 183.75 miles/ 11.52 hours

2012
Bike - 235 rides/ 7456 miles/ 347.18 hours/ 21.4mph
Run - 155 runs/ 963.75 miles/ 115.67 hours/ 7:12 per mile
Swim - 109 swims/ 96.5 miles/ 47.45 hours
Total - 499 workouts/ 8516.25 miles/ 510.90 hours

Goals This Week
Bike - 5 rides/ 150-170 miles
Run - 4 runs/ 25-28 miles
Swim - 3-4 swims/ 3-4 miles

After this week, I will also start a resistance training regimen. This will be the last week I will have track & field and cross-country going at the same time. I know if I am going to get back to Kona, I will need to get stronger.

Kona or Bust 2013! (Oh yeah - finally TdO?????)

No comments:

Post a Comment