Sunday, July 17, 2011

Biggest Week On The Bike!



Week Two of the Tour de France is now in the books and what an interesting week it was. Surprisingly, my boy Voeckler is holding on to the Yellow Jersey. He has been a true champion in defending the "maillot jaune" and hanging with all the expert's GC contenders. I am not sure if he will be able to hold it through the Alps but if the GC contenders are not careful he could win it. His true downfall could be the Time Trial next Saturday should he hold the jersey that long. The stages through Alps include some of the greatest climbs in TdF history: Col du Galibier and the 21 switchbacks of Alpe d’Huez. It promises to be a great last week to the TdF.

This past week was my biggest training week since I have been on the bike. I have been incredibly strong on the bike and sometimes find myself searching out some of the biggest hills and climbs in the area. This past week I made to treks up the cross-country teams favorite hill: Dam Hill. My next major climb is to tackle Jack's Mountain. I just have to figure out a nice route to get there so I can tackle it relatively fresh. When I do ride the flats it seems to come with a lot of ease. Like today, after my early big climbs, I had a 25 mile stretch in 1:05:19 or 23mph with my heart rate only at 79%. New training totals:

Week: 7 rides/ 320 miles/ 15hours 28minutes/ 20.7mph/ 9867 feet of climbing
July: 17 rides/ 723 miles/ 35hours 53minutes/ 20.2mph/ 25564 feet of climbing
Year: 201 rides/ 6962 miles/ 324hours 55minutes/ 21. 5mph

Goals for this week:
7 rides - 300+ miles- 10,000 feet of climbing

I am having a tough time finding races for this weekend, that are relatively close but the race for July 30th is a definite. I am also cleared to start adding weight training into the training schedule. The back finally feels good enough to start and also get back into some good core work.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=11667


TdO '11!

No comments:

Post a Comment