Sunday, September 12, 2010

Since the last post - Summer/RunningWorks/XC/Bike/Shoulder

Wow, can't believe I have not posted since July 4th. It's not like I have a great excuse as I am pretty much off all summer. Training continued to go well for the most part given the weather on the east coast. We had the worst summer for heat and humidity since I have moved to Central PA. There was one stretch where the temperature got above 100 for 4 days in a row peaking at 104. i was able to maintain 60-65 miles for the most part all summer. I did have one stretch where I lowered the training but decided it was time to get back on the bike and do some riding. I started on a mountain bike and doing some good road rides. All I have to say is that lugging around a 30lb mountain bike on the road is not easy....it sucks!! Finally, with some help, decided to purchase a cool single/fixed gear bike from Iro Cycles. They are a cool company just minutes form our campus here.

With the return of my cross-country teams for the 2010 season, I once again started feeling really motivated for training. The other thing that helps in getting motivated is working RunningWorks Camp every summer. It is such an awesome week of being surrounded by great people who share such an enthusiasm for the sport. It is an awesome time to catch up with great friends. With all that I have been through in the past year, it was more needed than ever. Thanks to all the great people at RunningWorks!!

Now the teams are off and running. Both were picked to win the conference and are ranked in the top 10 in the region (men 6th/women 7th). The men even picked up 1 vote in the national rankings and it was not from me...LOL. Both teams are much deeper than last year's team, so this could be a fun year. I will blog them on here as well as my adventures.

Well, until monday running training was actually picking up and I was feeling so good in combining cycling with running. I also made a conscious decision to sit back (given all medical issues the past 4-5 months) and start building a base for 2011 and begin it right! Then on monday's run I managed to get tripped and fall hard on my shoulder and bang it up pretty good. In speaking with the team doctor I find out that I have a AC joint separation and will be limited now by the pain. The good thing is I can still managed to bike and have put 189 miles on the bike since monday and can feel quite a fitness boost from that. I may attempt a short 4 miler today to see if shoulder can handle some up/down motion of running.

At least all this cycling will help me get ready for the TdO (Tour de Owens 2011). My brother is a pretty good cyclist in NJ and as soon as he saw I was doing a lot more riding, like any good brother, he started trash talking. So for now, we are planning a 2-3 day cycling event next summer of him versus me. It will be epic!!!!

Sorry for long blog. So much to catch up on. For those that do read, Good Luck with your training and racing!!!!

Keep training hard and smart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment