Sunday, September 13, 2015

As They Say ....Better Late Than Never! (OK...Was Just A Tad Lazy!)


"Knights in white lighting shot out of the remote
  They said stand and be reckoned, I begged please, let me go
  They said uh-uh, no way, you've gotta come true
  We can't let you run away"
 "Fields Of Coal" by And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

At least I am not as bad as the last race report....2 weeks late on that one!!! 

Beware of Barracuda Sprint Triathlon - September 6

A typical start to race day.....4:00AM wake up! 

I had just over an hour drive to the race so had to get up that early with the 7:00AM gun time for the start of the race. The race itself was contested all within the property of Eagle Rock Resort in Hazleton, PA. 

Travel mug filled with coffee...time to roll! 

I arrive at the race site and it is still Dark!!! Having less and less daylight each day is quite depressing! At least 15-20 minutes after arriving at race it was light enough to set up transition.

Transition set up...Go time!!! 

Swim - 750 meters
Going into this race, I was a little nervous about the swim. Now I know I have enough endurance to finish the swim but was not sure how fast I might be. Due to working a running camp the week after Challenge Pocono and pool closure at the university, I only swam two days in the three days leading up to the race and they were the Thursday and Friday before the race. All to report on the swim is I felt very strong the entire swim and came out in very good position. Now the swim time I am about to post includes a 150-200 meter run to transition where you crossed the timing mat.

Swim: 14:02 - 9th fastest
T1:1:17

Bike - 15 miles
The bike was a two loop course with a couple of decent climbs but had plenty of flats and downhill to open it up. The first 3-4 miles was a little congested as it was one of the faster portions of the loop and included a 180 degree turn on a very narrow road Thankfully, after the u-turn, four of us started to distance the crowd up a long steady hill. I still shake my head at the number of triathletes who think they can take these climbs in their aerodynamic tucks! WTF? In all the bike had 754 feet of climbing. On the second loop of the bike, it remained the four of us off the pack. First place had a bit on the 2nd and 3rd, who I kept about 15-20 seconds in front of me. Bike done and running into to transition I can see 2nd and 3rd putting on their running shoes! Have a shot at an overall podium!

Bike: 41:04 - 3rd fastest (20 seconds off top bike time - the gap I maintained the entire 2nd loop)
T2:  :39

Run - 3.1 miles
The legs felt good going into the run. I was not sure what to expect in terms of turnover coming off Challenge Pocono and heading straight into the running camp. I felt string over the flat first 1.25 miles but I did not feel fast and I was not making up ground on the leaders. There was a 180 degree turn just before the mile so I could gauge how I was doing against the runners chasing and assured that at least they were not gaining on me. From 1.25 to just before the 2 mile mark was a downhill portion with yet another 180 degree turn to head home. I passed 1st, 2nd and 3rd on my way down and realized they looked as string as I felt so making up ground on them was going to be tough. But about halfway up the hill, I started passing runners headed down and was motivated by the fact I was pulling away from them. Just finish it strong, No letting up regardless of finishing position!

Run: 20:33 - 5th fastest
Total
1:17:32.9 - 4th Overall/1st Age Group

Right now, I am just in a maintenance phase of working out. I am keeping enough volume to stay fit enough if I can be lucky enough to find a race that fits into my coaching schedule of my cross country teams. I am also taking this time to get back into a normal swimming schedule now that the pool is re-opened! I have also got back to my TRX training twice a week.

If I cannot find a race I guess this will be it for 2015 but it has been a successful year so far! I am excited to see what I can do in 2016! What full Ironman will it be???

FINISHING UP @ BEWARE OF BARRACUDA

No comments:

Post a Comment