Monday, August 3, 2015

Hay Is In The Barn (Boring Post)


And in case you didn`t know
I`ve got a heart made of chrome
It`s been burned,
but it`s still willing to try
And shine
Chrome by Matthew Ryan 

After a six week stretch of intense training......I can finally use the proverbial cliche.....

"Hay is in the barn"

13 Days till Challenge Pocono!

Yesterday's 44 mile rolling spin on the bike, through the Amish farms of Central PA, signaled the end of what I believe to be my best stretch of training leading up to an "A race", since my return to the sport of triathlon several years ago. For the first time in the past 3+ years, every workout each day  had a defined purpose and I did not feel as if I was training for the sake of training. 

Still following my plan of training using the MAF methods for the year, my focus fell more on effort and time versus distance and pace during a workout, regardless how slow my heart rate dictated I workout that day. I am very sure this is what helped me feel strong and recovered each day to tackle what most people would believe is insane training! There is a good chance that the mileage I covered the past six weeks is more that some people drive their car over the same period.

6 Week Training Totals
Bike - 29 rides/ 1083 miles/ 53.27 hours/ 20.5mph/ 30,552ft of climbing
Run - 18 runs/ 143 miles/ 19.11 hours/ 8:02 per mile/ 5445ft of climbing
Swim - 15 swims/ 16 miles/ 8.06 hours
Totals - 62 workouts/ 1242 miles/ 80.64 hours/ 35997ft of climbing
Per Week - 10.33 workouts/ 207 miles/ 13.44 hours/ 5999ft of climbing

Looking at the course profile for Challenge Pocono and knowing my past 70.3 results, my long run and ride times were based on my expected/goal times for the race. Over the six weeks, I completed 3 long runs building from 90 minutes to 97 minutes. On the bike, I completed four rides of 2 hours & 28 minutes or longer including one ride of 2 hours & 45 minutes which included 3000+ feet of climbing. As good as I have been feeling about my swim going into Challenge Pocono, I did complete steady relaxed swims of 2000 yards (30:04) and 2100 yards (32:00) for confidence. 

Maybe most importantly, I worked on my nutritional needs during the bike to ensure that I will be starting the run with enough calories for a high finish. I even completed a sweat test during on of my tempo runs to get a better plan for replenishing electrolytes during the long race, especially given it will be the middle of August when the weather can be a bit on the muggy side. 

While so many things can happen once I am on the course, as it is a lengthy race, I feel this is the best prepared for a race I have been since my return to triathlons. This stretch of training has also given me the confidence that I can finally tackle that daunting idea of full Ironman distance training and venture back into that insane race again in 2016.

Ironman race TBA at a later date!!!! Stay tuned!

Taper is officially on! (Even more scientific in approach than years past)

HAY IS IN THE BARN!

No comments:

Post a Comment