Saturday, February 4, 2012

All In Now!



It is now official and there is no turning back now especially for an entry fee of $265.00. This past week I officially signed up for Ironman 70.3 National Harbor on August 5, 2012. In doing my math, there is plenty of time left as there are 183 days until the race. I am so pumped for this race as I know in that time I will be more than ready to achieve my goal of 4hours 45minutes or faster. Obviously, I will need to add some lead up races (triathlons and bicycle) before the big day. Here is a link to race information:

http://ironmannationalharbor.com/

My training, still mostly a base mode, continues to go well. After last week's lower volume I added more training to this week. I dropped the running track workout this week but I did complete my longest run since I started triathlon training. I did an out and back 10 mile run taking the first 5 miles in 36:40 and finishing up in 35:20. Cycling seems to be well ahead of last year at this point since the purchase of the new magnetic trainer. I am able to simulate some good resistance and get the heart rate up high. Swimming seems to be coming back to me quicker than I thought it would. I am not really focusing on a lot of workouts as much as building endurance in the pool. I now know I can easily handle a 1 mile swim and then some as I completed a 1700 yard swim in 26:00 and felt as if I could have easily kept going but it was lunch time! I will be getting back to true swim workouts soon. Here are the new training totals:

Week
Bike - 6 rides/ 183 miles/ 8.26 hours/ 22.1mph
Run - 3 runs/ 18.25 miles/ 2.19 hours/ 7:12 per mile
Swim - 2 swims/ 1.75 miles/ .78 hours
Total - 11 workouts/ 203 miles/ 11.23 hours

Year
Bike - 28 rides/ 888 miles/ 40.89 hours/ 21.7mph
Run - 15 runs/ 93 miles/ 11.12 hours/ 7:10 per mile
Swim - 11 swims/ 8.75 miles/ 4.32 hours
Total - 54 workouts/989.75 miles/ 56.33 hours

Goals for this week:
Bike - 6 rides/ 190-210 miles
Run - 3-4 runs/ 22-25 miles - 1 track workout
Swim - 2-3 swims/ 2-2.5 miles

OK - now is the time to seriously start putting the lead up races together. One of my projects for this week is to make a list of potential small races to make sure I will be sharp for the 70.3. I also need to include some bike races so I can become CAT IV at least!!! And I also have to leave a weekend in there for the TdO '12. This year it will truly be on!



"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

Muhammad Ali

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marty. Am I out of shape if I get tired just reading this blog? Enjoy keeping up with you through the blog. We're a long way from the old neighborhood eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visit the old neighborhood every once in a while. My parents still live there as well as my brother and his family live in Boghosian's old house. A lot has changed there.

    ReplyDelete