Sunday, August 3, 2014

Even The Rain Can't Stop Me! (Plugging Away)

 

 "Sometimes I'm fast and sometimes I'm slow,
  other times I don't even want to go.
  Sometimes I'm hot and sometimes I'm cold,
  other times I feel like I'm getting old."
Sometimes I Do - Social Distortion

"There is no way I am riding indoors!"

Sunday (when not racing) is typically my long bike ride day. For the first time in a long time, I woke up to a steady rain and soaked roads. Damn, I hate wet roads! I was hoping that the forecast for rain and t-storms for today would hold off till later in the morning or afternoon, after my ride. All I knew is that I was not going to ride inside. It is summer time and there is never a need to go inside! While having my coffee and english muffin, I did see that I would get a dry window for a couple hours ( Hell yes!!!) but would need to start in the rain. WTF!!! Let's do it...hell, nobody ever melted in the rain.

In some weird way, the rain may have also been something good to help my legs and body recover a little during this stretch of high volume training and racing. At the beginning of the week, my legs felt a little heavy and yesterday I had completed a brick workout of 35 miles @ 23.4mph followed by  3.75 mile run @ 6:55 per mile. The wet roads forced me to change from a schedule hilly ride (2800ft of climbing) to a spin along the Susquehanna River on 11/15 as I am not a fan of big descents on wet roads.  It felt good to just get out a spin and I will admit, going 21mph never felt easier.

Today's 50 mile ride topped off the biggest week of the past 8 weeks of high volume training. Totally all three disciplines, this week's tally was just over 220 miles and 13+ hours of training. The plan is to still continue this high volume phase for another 2-3 weeks while racing a few sprint triathlons and polish off the year with a small taper and long race. Here are the totals for the past 8 weeks:

Bike - 34 rides/ 1276 miles/ 62.47 hours/ 20.4 mph/ 40725ft of climbing
Run - 27 runs/ 186 miles/ 23.04 hours/ 7:26 per mile
Swim - 22 swims/ 19 miles/ 9.69 miles
Total - 83 workouts/ 1481 miles/ 95.20 hours
Per week - 10.38 workouts/ 185.13 miles/ 11.90 hours

Possible Sprint Triathlons The Next 3 Weeks (All 3 would be pushing it but at least 2)
August 10 - Tuckahoe Sprint Triathlon - .25 mile/ 10 mile/ 3.1 mile
August 16 - Lewisburg SprintTriathlon - 300yd / 15 mile/ 3.25 mile
August 24 - Keystone Sprint Triathlon - .5 mile/ 18.2 mile/ 3.1 mile (definite)
 
I am still undecided on what race to finish off the 2014 race season. I am hoping to have a decision in the next week or two but obviously, the decision will be determined by my team's cross-country meet schedule. Ultimately, this high volume training and end of season long race will be a springboard into the 2015 (yes I said it!!!) race season. Based on recent announcements, it looks like I will be completing two Ironman distance races in one season if my intentions are to qualify for Kona. I guess I have my work cut out for me!

List of Ironman Races That Fit Into T&F Coaching Schedule (as of writing this blog)
May 16 - Ironman Texas
June 28 - Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Thanks to Wattie Ink for the coolest racing kit and teammates that keep me motivated with their performances! Also, thanks to a great list of sponsors of the team - Power Bar, Speedfil, ISM Saddles, Herbalife, Blue Seventy, Rudy Project, ! Your support goes a long way in helping me achieve my results!

Rock the W!


No comments:

Post a Comment